Home   Sport   Article

Velocity Wessex Premier: Christchurch FC’s 4-3 victory over Bournemouth FC

Velocity Wessex Premier

Christchurch FC 4

Bournemouth FC 3

Christchurch’s remarkable reversal of form continues after a 4-3 victory over a stubborn Bournemouth in front of 144 fans, securing their third triumph in a row.

On a freezing Saturday morning, Christchurch’s Lyle Simpson opened the scoring before Jack Barton restored the lead after a Poppies’ equaliser, but Church needed further goals from Luke Churchill and Conrad Churchill to secure the three points.

Christchurch had found themselves languishing near the foot of the table for many weeks, but they looked to carry on their recent form with a bright start.

Christchurch’s Lyle Simpson scored the game’s first goal (Photo: Les Chase)
Christchurch’s Lyle Simpson scored the game’s first goal (Photo: Les Chase)

However, the Poppies had the ball in the back of the net after just four minutes. However, the linesman’s flag signalled for an offside on Jake Adams to offer Church a get-out-of-jail-free card.

After 10 minutes, a ball was played deep into the box where Lyle Simpson was waiting at the back post. The talented youngster took an incredible volley and slotted it home.

Next up, it was the Poppies’ turn to be grateful for the linesman’s flag, with Conor Jevon’s goal ruled out before the same player had a penalty shout waved away by the referee.

With the break 10 minutes away, a foul in the box led to a Poppies spot-kick, which Joe Freak slotted to level the match at the break.

As the match passed the hour mark, centre-back Jack Barton got on the end of a wicked delivery to glance a header home and restore the lead before a handball led to a penalty for the hosts.

Former AFC Bournemouth midfielder Fawzi Saadi stepped up from the spot, but keeper Jakub Lewiarz dived the right way to keep his side in the game.

With 74 minutes played, left-back Luke Churchill made it 3-1, but with the mist growing ever thicker, only those on the pitch could tell you how he scored the goal.

A lovely ball into the box finds the head of Lewis Sainval, who briefly made it 3-2 before substitute Conrad Churchill won the ball, turned his man and calmly slotted the ball under the keeper.

Sainval had time to grab his side’s third goal, leading to a nervy final few minutes, but Church held on for a deserved three points.

Christchurch have two local derbies coming up. Firstly, an away match against Hythe & Dibden today (Tuesday) at 7.45pm before hosting Brockenhurst on Saturday at 3pm.

Christchurch: W. Butler, R. Santos, L. Churchill, J. Barton, C. Horton, S. Roushbaiani, L. Simpson, J. Smith, C. Jevon, F. Saadi, E. Rossiter. Subs: C. Churchill, L. Haensel, E. Ohameje, A. Zintany, O. Miller.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More