Home   News   Article

No answers from inquest into death of 14-week-old Somerford infant Enzo Kyrillou

AN inquest into the death of a baby boy from Somerford at just 14 weeks old was unable to uncover how he died.

Enzo Kyrillou passed away in the arms of his father at Southampton General Hospital on 27th December 2019 after he was found apparently "lifeless" in his cot five days earlier, Bournemouth Coroners' Court was told.

Speaking at the conclusion of a highly emotional two-day hearing, parents Alex and his wife Amy, who lost their nine-year-old son Ollie in 2016, said they were relived it was over.

Little Enzo Kyrillou
Little Enzo Kyrillou

"This has been an ordeal for us," Alex told the A&T afterwards.

Amy added they had frustrations over the way medics had responded to their earlier concerns about Enzo, saying: "I did feel as though I wasn’t always listened to."

During the inquest, the couple told how they took Enzo to the Christchurch Medical Practice several times in October and November 2019 with worries about how he often "shuddered" while breathing.

It was noted Enzo’s breathing was "abnormally" high while on another occasion Enzo was admitted to Poole Hospital where he was diagnosed with suffering with bronchitis, and spent a night receiving treatment.

He was described as a "bright, happy boy" before he was found at 5am on 22nd December unresponsive in a carry cot.

Alex and Amy Kyrillou
Alex and Amy Kyrillou

He had been staying at the home of his aunt, Rebecca Kyrillou, and her partner, who woke and noticed Enzo was "lifeless".

Neither of them gave CPR, admitting they "panicked" and were afraid of hurting Enzo. Rebecca immediately phoned her brother, Alex, who lived nearby and rushed over.

Paramedics were quickly on the scene to give Enzo CPR as an ambulance happened to be nearby dealing with another patient.

The medics managed to restart Enzo’s heart just after 6am and he was transferred to Poole Hospital, where he again lost his pulse and was given more CPR.

Enzo's decorated coffin
Enzo's decorated coffin

After his heart was restarted he was transferred to Southampton General Hospital for specialist care.

There it was established he had suffered a hypoxic brain injury which was not recoverable. When they removed life support Enzo died.

Extensive post-mortem investigations took place and despite some minor "unusual" findings – including an internal cord wrapped around Enzo’s lung – medics were unable to determine why Enzo had collapsed.

However, the examinations raised "concerns" over a fracture found to a bone in Enzo’s right wrist, which a pathologist judged was sustained "five to seven days" before Enzo’s death.

The family denied having caused it and questioned whether it was from CPR or medics using a cannula at Poole Hospital – but the medical professionals ruled those out.

The inquest heard that after Enzo collapsed Dorset Police became involved, as they do for any sudden infant death.

The Ferraris at Enzo's funeral
The Ferraris at Enzo's funeral

DS Julie Dransfield said the force had no concerns about foul play, adding Enzo seemed happy and well cared for.

She said: "From everything I have seen, gathered and reviewed, there is nothing to indicate to me there has been any third party involvement."

Assistant Dorset coroner Brendan Allen said the "only sensible conclusion" he could make was an open one.

"The medical cause is unascertained," he stressed. "Investigations did not reveal the cause of the collapse but did demonstrate the consequences of his cardiac arrest."

Enzo was named after the founder of the Ferrari motorcar company in memory of his brother Ollie, who died in 2016 and was a fan of the famous sports car make.

As reported in the A&T, at Enzo’s funeral eight gleaming supercars followed his tiny Ferrari-themed coffin through Christchurch on a lap of honour before arriving at Jumpers Road cemetery.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More