Home   Sport   Article

Hampshire Counties One rugby: Trojans escape as New Milton RFC almost complete thrilling comeback

Hampshire Counties One

Trojans RFC 36

New Milton RFC 32

NEW Milton were eager to avenge a close loss earlier in the season, and despite allowing the Trojans a 29-0 lead, they almost pulled it off.

New Milton looked dead and buried after the hosts only took 26 minutes to score 29 points. However, hard running and tackling saw them equal the Trojans’ try count, with both sides scoring five tries.

From the kick-off, the hosts employed the high kick ahead, and after a fortuitous bounce, they scored their first before snatching a Milton line-out and running in a second score.

New Milton's Luke Day tries to break the line (picture: David Corbett)
New Milton's Luke Day tries to break the line (picture: David Corbett)

The one-way nature of the contest continued, and despite the visitors dealing well with another high kick, the referee felt a Trojans player had been obstructed. From the resulting quick penalty, Trojans scored their third converted try before winning a New Milton scrum and grabbing a fourth.

Soon after, New Milton had to defend again, and in the melee of succeeding tackles and rucks, the referee blew up for a Trojans penalty, which they converted, and issued a yellow card.

Despite being a man down, Milton immediately gained a scrum in the Trojans’ half, which led to Joe Eldridge bursting through to touch down, and Lewis Waugh converted well.

The last score of the half also went to New Milton, with Waugh slotting a penalty to make it 29-10 at the break.

After the restart, New Milton strung good attacks together while tackling hard. Milton’s man of the match, hooker Jez Korbey, exemplified this, making David vs Goliath-esque tackles.

Milton eventually gained a scrum in the Trojans’ 22, and scrum-half Tate Thorn used possession to follow up a kick ahead to touch down.

After another decent attack, New Milton quickly took a penalty, with Luke Day reigniting the belief after breaking through and scoring.

The momentum had firmly switched, and moments later, Cristian Brown made an excellent break before slick passing between centres Alexander Everett-Bolter and Waugh took the break into the Trojans’ 22 when Brown received the ball back to run through and score.

The pressure eased for the hosts when they ran in a converted try, but New Milton were not done. After winning a line-out in the Trojans’ 22, Brown sprinted past the defence to touch down for the match’s final try, with Lewis Waugh adding the extras for a 36-32 final score.

New Milton hosts Eastleigh on Saturday at 3pm.

New Milton: R. Pearce, J. Korbey, E. Hynd, J. Blair, B. Steers, R. Kendall, J. Corbett, T. Wood, T. Thorn, C. Brown, J. Eldridge, L. Waugh, A. Bolter-Jackson, M. Moore, L. Day, F. Hood.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More