Home   Sport   Article

AFC Totton make history in barnstorming FA Trophy tie against Frome Town

More news, no ads


FA Trophy First Round

AFC Totton 2
Frome Town FC 2
(AFC Totton win 4-2 on penalties)

AFC Totton advanced to the second round of the FA Trophy for the first time in their history with a penalty shoot-out victory over Frome Town.

The match ended with three players sent off, and Frome taking a shock lead despite being a player down. However, goals from Sam Griffin and Jack Hoey looked to have sealed progression until a late leveller forced penalties.

After 11 minutes, a long ball over the top from keeper Amad Skrzyniarz released Ethan Taylor, who got to it before keeper James Carey. The shot-stopper took out the number 10 and duly received his marching orders. Forced to reshuffle his pack, Frome's manager Danny Greaves subbed himself on and took up position between the sticks.

Totton's Hisham Kasimu and Frome's Alex Hallett (photo: Les Chase)
Totton's Hisham Kasimu and Frome's Alex Hallett (photo: Les Chase)

Far from retreating into their half, Frome took a shock lead after 20 minutes when Marcus Mapstone met a corner with a bullet header that left Skrzyniarz with no chance.

The lead lasted around a minute when the player-of-the-match, Griffin picked up the ball before cutting in on his right and blasting his shot past Greaves with a thumping strike into the roof of the net.

With the break 10 minutes away, a patient piece of interplay involving the frontmen eventually fed Hoey on the right side of the box, who curled a great effort with his left foot to the top left corner for the lead.

Totton lost their captain Harry Medway just after the break when he received a second yellow for tripping the ex-Stag Jon Davies on the right flank.

Both sides had chances to score, but the match took another twist with a third red card when Frome goal-scorer Masterton hauled back Hisham Kasimu, who was clean through on goal.

Frome scored a leveller against the run of play despite their numerical disadvantage after a gorgeous through ball found Jonathan Davies.

No side could break the deadlock, and the tie went to penalties. Skrzyniarz saved Davies' opening penalty to set the tone, with Jack Hoey's decisive penalty giving Totton a 4-2 win on penalties. Thus, history was made for AFC Totton as they reached the FA Trophy second round for the first time.

AFC Totton: A. Skrzyniarz, A. Olumuyiwa, B. Jefford, F. Read, H. Medway, S. Zubar, J. Hoey, J. Masterton, H. Kasimu, E. Taylor, S. Griffin. Subs: J. Ragguette, B. Williams, L. Waterfield, C. Baughan, S. Gwengwe.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More