Home   Sport   Article

Midweek Wessex League: Rampant Brockenhurst blast six past Alton as Totton beat New Milton and Hythe & Dibden lose to AFC Portchester

More news, no ads


FOUR New Forest-based sides competed in midweek league action, with table-toppers Brockenhurst winning by six goals, Totton & Eling beating New Milton and Hythe & Dibden losing.

In the Wessex League Premier, Brockenhurst continued their superb form by blasting unanswered six goals past Alton despite missing the league's top scorer Silvano Obeng, and Hythe's miserable run continued with a 17th straight loss in all competitions.

New Milton ran out of time as Totton & Eling held on to a three-goal lead to win 3-2 and secure their second division one win of the season.

Brockenhurst wasted no time, and they quickly took the lead within five minutes when Mitchell Speechley-Price, playing in his first match since re-signing from Blackfield & Langley, broke the deadlock.

Brockenhurst's Leon Carbayo-Borges lobs the keeper (photo: Dave Bodymore)
Brockenhurst's Leon Carbayo-Borges lobs the keeper (photo: Dave Bodymore)

James Shorey headed in Brockenhurst's second in the 18th minute before Speechley-Price scored his second goal, this time from the penalty spot just before the break to make it 3-0.

One of Brockenhurst's many young talented players from their U18s' historic FA Youth Cup run, full-back Connor Ings scored his first senior goal for the club with a stunning strike just after the hour mark.

Brad Magookin added a fifth with a long-range rocket that flew into the far corner from far out before Matt Sheedy completed the rout in injury time.

The win lifts Brockenhurst five points clear, with Baffin Milton Rovers holding three games in hand.

The local derby between hosts Totton & Eling and New Milton Town tore up the form books as the Millers raced into a three-goal lead at Millers Park.

The two sides came into the match with vastly varying form, with Totton looking for their first win since the opening day, while New Milton had only previously failed to win on two occasions all season.

With 25 minutes played, Nehniah McKenley-Burke held off his man well before playing a superb ball to Yusupha Badjie, who trapped it before unleashing a well-driven shot high into the goal.

New Milton Town's Tyler Rudd scored his side's second goal (photo: Les Chase)
New Milton Town's Tyler Rudd scored his side's second goal (photo: Les Chase)

Just four minutes later, Totton pounced on slack defending to release Alex Sawyer through on goal. The striker picked his spot and stroked the past across Luke Dennison and into the far corner.

After the restart, Sawyer bagged his second after receiving the ball unmarked off a Jamie Blackburn header.

New Milton grew into the match, and Totton's Joe Steel and Ollie Eyres combined well at the back post to deny a certain goal.

Just after the hour mark, New Milton gave themselves a glimmer of hope when Chris Long nodded home a Tyrrell Sampson cross.

With 17 minutes left, Eyres spilt a Long cross in the danger area where Tyler Rudd showed decent anticipation to poke home and make it 3-2.

Hythe & Dibden have endured a miserable season since applying for promotion, and AFC Portchester could have been three up by the time the first goal came just before the break when George Barker produced a sublime finish.

Hythe hung on by the skin of their teeth with Conor Manderson scrambling away multiple efforts that looked like nailed-on goals, while the referee failed to award what looked like a stonewall penalty.

With six minutes left, their superhuman efforts faltered, and Portchester added a second when Jake Raine converted after brilliant play from Lamin Jatta out wide.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More