Home   Sport   Article

Midweek Wessex League football: Brockenhurst, Christchurch, Hythe & Dibden, New Milton Town and Totton & Eling in action

New Milton Town and Christchurch each served up 3-0 victories among the five local teams in Wessex League action last night (Tuesday).

They soundly beat Hamworthy Rec and Shaftesbury respectively, while Totton & Eling also grabbed three points at Verwood Town. Brockenhurst fell 3-2 to AFC Stoneham, while Hythe & Dibden suffered the same scoreline against AFC Portchester.

It was a stalemate by half-time for the New Milton at Hamworthy's ground, but the visitors turned on the fireworks for the second 45.

Firstly, eight minutes into the half, Tyrrell Sampson stuck his cross onto the head of Noel McCarthy-Gardiner who powered it past Reece Mitchell in the Rec goal.

Sampson then grabbed the first of his brace on 78 minutes, drifting through the Rec backline after a fine delivery from Olli Woolley.

Less than two minutes later, Ben Cooper's corner found Ash Booker who popped it back in the box for Sampson to nick in.

The win pushes Linnets up to second, albeit having played more games than those around them.

Christchurch leapfrogged Shaftesbury into eighth place with their three-goal destruction of the visitors.

There were great chances for both sides in the first half as Conor Jevon was twice denied by alert defending, while at the other end Brandon Channel pulled out a sensational block to stop Shaftesbury taking the lead.

Christchurch's Awwal Abubakar up against Shaftesbury's Ryan Cluett and Ash Pope (photo: Les Chase)
Christchurch's Awwal Abubakar up against Shaftesbury's Ryan Cluett and Ash Pope (photo: Les Chase)

Harry Dillon also got his gloves dirty with a fabulous save before Nassim Meddah had a goal ruled out for offside prior to the half-time whistle.

But 10 minutes into the second half and Church were in front, Awwal Abubakar picking out an unmarked Ashton Pickles who hit the top corner.

Christchurch's Nasim Meddah and Shaftesbury's Jake Smeeton (photo: Les Chase)
Christchurch's Nasim Meddah and Shaftesbury's Jake Smeeton (photo: Les Chase)

Dillon kept Shaftesbury at bay with a couple of fine stops, and on 70 minutes second-half sub Ben Atiako-Hall gave Church some breathing space, volleying in from Fawzi Saadi's cross.

Atiako-Hall capped a sensational 20-minute cameo with his second on 81 minutes, putting the game beyond doubt, before Kyron Samadi almost grabbed a fourth.

Totton & Eling travelled to Verwood Town for a mid-table clash.

After an early chances for Millers' Diego Santerali, the away side were handed a penalty when Hugo Rawlings was sent sprawling in the box. Sam Vidler made no mistake from 12 yards.

Rawlings nearly grabbed a second before Millers keeper Macca Hare was called into action with a host of Verwood chances.

Verwood continued their assault on the T&E goal in the second half, but were profligate, and the visitors defended well to take home all three points.

Brockenhurst fell behind to an early goal against AFC Stoneham, Lewis Nagle hitting home in the second minute.

Nagle was again into the action just before half-time, winning a penalty when Ronan Moore brought him down in the box. Liam Callaghan converted, hitting it down the middle of the goal.

It was looking a procession when the Purples hit their third just before half time, Duarte Martins finding an empty net after a mistake by Badgers keeper Heath Bartram.

It was a better second half for Brock, despite Stoneham coming close twice after the break.

Silvano Obeng pulled one back on 82 minutes, finding the net after a fine turn in the box, and Ronan Moore grabbed the Badgers' second a mere seven minutes later.

But they couldn't find a last-minute equaliser and the game ended 3-2 to the visitors.

Hythe & Dibden couldn't quite pull off a shock victory against the division's runaway leaders after they led 2-1 at the break.

Scott Jones put the Royals in front after 11 minutes from a corner, but Craig Feeney equalised on 30 minutes, with his second coming seven minutes later.

AFC Portchester's deadly Brett Pitman was a constant threat, and on 79 minutes he found Liam Robinson who curled his effort in to equalise.

Hythe held on until the first minute of added time when Jones grabbed his second to snatch the win, to the distress of the home support.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More