Home   Sport   Article

Midweek football round-up: Bashley, Brockenhurst, Ringwood Town, Hythe & Dibden, Blackfield & Langley, Christchurch and Fawley AFC is action

BASHLEY were the biggest local winners in the latest round of midweek fixtures, toppling undefeated league leaders Willand Rovers as six other sides also played.

Brockenhurst picked up a penalty shootout win after a hard-fought goalless draw, while Ringwood Town shared the spoils in a 10-goal thriller.

However, things could have been more rosy for Hythe & Dibden, Blackfield & Langley, Christchurch and Fawley AFC, who all lost league games.

Kaya Tshaka wins a penalty against Willand Rovers (photo: Les Chase)
Kaya Tshaka wins a penalty against Willand Rovers (photo: Les Chase)

After an immaculately-observed minute’s silence in memory of Bashley’s long-serving club president Mike Cranidge, who died on Friday, the team put in their best performance of the season.

Bashley were always in control, and the win provided Ollie Cherrett and the new Bashley coaching team with their first win at the third attempt.

There was a new look and shape to the Bashley team, with a lot of fluidity among the midfield and forward players.

The game sparked into life on 20 minutes when the player of the match – as voted by the Cranidge family – 19-year-old Eastleigh loanee Kaya Tshaka made a piercing run before being clattered to the ground by Josh Searle inside the area.

Brett Williams made the spot kick look easy, putting it to the right-hand corner while keeper George Burton dived left.

Just before the break, Max Wilcock chased down keeper George Burton, who missed the ball while aiming to clear, leaving new signing Willcock to run clear and roll the ball into an empty net.

Willand’s usually potent attack sparked into life with the last kick of the half, with Alfie Moulden cutting in and firing past Ross Casey into the far top corner.

Moments into the second half, Bashley restored their two-goal lead when Tshaka won the ball through perseverance before he flicked it inside to oncoming right-back Rian Drake, whose first-time shot dipped perfectly over the keeper’s reach.

Willand was stung into action for a time, and Casey had to look sharp, making many crucial saves.

Willand had to finish the last 15 with 10 men after Nick Milton, booked earlier for an awful challenge on Tshaka, back-chatted referee Kai Morgan over a free-kick decision and was immediately shown a red card.

In the 90th minute, Owen Howe – the league’s leading scorer – rattled a close-range shot past Casey, but Bashley picked up the deserved win.

Brockenhurst squeezed into the Southampton Senior Cup third round after a near-perfect shootout in which they missed only one kick.

The goalless draw with QK Southampton saw the Badgers celebrate long-serving midfielder James Shorey for reaching 100 appearances, while at the other end of their careers, youth players Charlie Blake, Kieran Hillier and Taylor Crook – who scored the fifth and final penalty – all made their first team debuts. Mitchell Speechley-Price hit the first before Sam Steel, Ronan Moore, and finally Crook scored. Meanwhile, keeper Heath Bartram saved their third effort.

Ringwood Town had Harry Smith to thank for the draw, with the captain scoring a 96th-minute leveller to draw 5-5 with Ash United in the Velocity Wessex Division One.

Ringwood Town's Harry Smith (photo: Les Chase)
Ringwood Town's Harry Smith (photo: Les Chase)

The drama started with Timo Gleed giving Ringwood the lead with 45 seconds played before Ash won and scored a penalty within five minutes.

Davy Newbold made it 2-1 after poking home Ben Bradwell’s free-kick before Ash drew level again.

The hosts gave themselves some breathing room with two goals before the break, Pat Correia finding the top corner from 30 yards before Gleed grabbed his second.

The second half was a different story, with two successful penalties and a 76th-minute strike giving Ash the lead.

With moments left, Smith headed home a free-kick to rescue a point.

Hythe & Dibden endured a difficult night in Velocity Wessex Premier action against third-placed AFC Portchester, who led the league most of last season, losing 4-0.

Hythe did well for most of the first half and only trailed by one goal at the break after Josh Benfield’s goal four minutes from the break.

With 10 minutes left, the hosts carried a two-goal advantage, but after throwing caution to the wind to look for a way back into the game, Portchester scored two late to seal a flattering scoreline.

Blackfield & Langley had their moments and looked to play decent football, but AFC Stoneham picked up a deserved 4-0 Velocity Wessex Premier victory.

The visitors were 3-0 up after 22 minutes, but after that, the Watersiders did well.

However, even had Ethan Cheshire scored his 80th-minute penalty attempt, it would have been nothing more than a consolation.

Christchurch, who sit second from bottom in the Velocity Wessex Premier league, lost for the fifth time in a row after a three-goal loss to Andover New Street.

They hope that results will pick up soon after the new management team of Nathan Brown, Rob Gillett, and Chia Khider takes control.

Finally, Fawley AFC lost 3-0 to fourth-placed Velocity Wessex Division One side Alresford Town.

After a poor start, the Oilers grew into the game, but a second goal against the run of play killed them, and Alresford Town ultimately deserved the win.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More