Home   Sport   Article

Velocity Wessex Premier football: Richard Bakary fires home to level but Lymington Town still lose to third-placed Shaftesbury

Velocity Wessex Premier

Lymington Town FC 1

Shaftesbury FC 3

DESPITE occupying spaces at opposite ends of the table, Lymington Town did themselves proud, firing themselves level before succumbing to third-placed Shaftesbury.

With five defeats in a row, bottom-of-the-table Lymington Town are running out of time to escape the drop, but they show no signs of giving up, fighting until the last second.

With seven minutes played, the returning Connor Ings, who recently re-signed for the club, took the ball up the flank before delivering an excellent cross to the back post, but the resulting shot flew wide.

Lymington Town's Rich Bakary fired home for the spot (Photo: Tierney Rocks)
Lymington Town's Rich Bakary fired home for the spot (Photo: Tierney Rocks)

With 20 minutes played, after multiple strong attacks from the hosts, Shaftesbury took the lead when former Bashley man Cameron Beard fired home.

Lymington sprung many good attacks, and they came close to finding a goal on a few occasions before the break. Their best chance came after slick counter-attacking football, but the Shaftesbury keeper Shane Murphy made an excellent save.

Two minutes after the restart, a ball over the top released the Lymo striker, who raced onto the ball before jinking past Murphy. The burly keeper took the man before hoping to escape punishment by berating the attacker. However, his theatrics failed to make an impression, and the referee pointed to the spot.

After some delay, Rich Bakary calmed himself before slotting the ball high into the left corner, sending the keeper the wrong way to restore parity.

Lymington looked the more likely to score next, and when winger Ben Satterley earned a place in the sin bin, their prospects looked even greater. However, two minutes after he left the field, Shaftesbury retook the lead before putting the game to bed 10 minutes later.

The crucial goals came from Beard and Stuart Green.

Lymington Town returns to action tomorrow (Tuesday) at 7.45pm against Sherborne Town before travelling to face Moneyfields on Saturday at 3pm.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More