Home   Sport   Article

Lymington end season with heavy loss to Frome

More news, no ads


Southern League Division One
Lymington Town FC 0
Frome Town FC 5

FROME Town's Jonathan Davies fired a brilliant hat-trick to consign Lymington Town to a miserable end to their Southern League Division One season.

After ensuring their league safety in their previous matches, Lymington came into the game with little to play for besides pride.

The Robins ran away with the match with a dominant second-half performance which saw Davies strike twice more after converting a first-half penalty, while substitutes Marcus Mapstone and Harry Baker rounded off the scoring.

Lymington's Harrison Cable and Frome's Warren Maidment (photo: Les Chase)
Lymington's Harrison Cable and Frome's Warren Maidment (photo: Les Chase)

With the pitch at the Sports Ground showing signs of a long and arduous season, Frome dominated possession early on, while the well-organised Lymington defence limited the goal-scoring opportunities.

However, the visitors almost broke the deadlock after 10 minutes, only a superb last-ditch tackle from Callum Davies keeping the ball out of the net after a neat turn in the box.

With 25 minutes played, Robins' James Ollis raced into the area before being clipped by a defender. Right-winger Davies kept his cool from 12 yards from the resulting penalty, clattering his spot-kick in off the post.

Lymington continued their efforts to find a way back into the game, and keeper James Carey had to be alert to turn the ball around his post.

After a promising start to the second half for Lymington, a decisive second goal arrived when Davies raced clear before rolling the ball past Joe Coombes.

With Frome in the ascendancy, Mapstone headed a 66th-minute corner home before Baker twisted and turned his marker, firing a left-footed effort past the helpless keeper.

Lymington left-back Luke Churchill let his frustration boil over with an over-zealous challenge which left two players on the floor, leaving referee Alex James with no choice but to brandish a red.

Insult was added to injury with six minutes left when Davies completed his hat-trick from a deflected effort from the edge of the box.

Lymington Town: J. Coombes, R. Drake, L. Churchill, T. Bailey, M. Green, R. Fuller, C. Davies, D. Walker, F. Bullard, H. Cable, G. Britton. Subs: S. Shearer, J. Brookes, C. Stratton, D. Thelen, A. Biss.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More