Home   Sport   Article

Midweek football round-up: Lymington Town rescue deserved point, New Milton Town endure late blitz, while Ringwood Town, Totton & Eling and Hythe & Dibden also played

IN the Tuesday night midweek fixtures Lymington Town grabbed a deserved point, as did Ringwood Town, but they were the only local sides to avoid defeat.

New Milton Town succumbed to Hamworthy Recreation after reaching the break at 0-0, Totton & Eling shipped seven goals, and Moneyfields made Hythe & Dibden pay.

Lymington Town ended a run of five losses with a 2-2 draw with Sherborne Town, snatching a later leveller after taking the lead and being the better side.

Harry Yates opened the scoring for Lymington Town (Photo Nathan Lipsham/NL PHOTOGRAPHY U.K.)
Harry Yates opened the scoring for Lymington Town (Photo Nathan Lipsham/NL PHOTOGRAPHY U.K.)

The hosts took the lead thanks to Harry Yates, but a harsh call from the referee allowed the Zebras’ Ant Herrin to fire home for the penalty spot for a 1-1 draw at the break.

With it all to play for in the second half, Tom Budden notched for the visitors before Josh Williams earned a red card.

Despite playing with one less man, the visitors must have felt they had done enough to escape with the win, but Lymington’s pressure saw the game levelled by an own goal.

Lymington Town manager Adam Colmer told the A&T: “It was a slightly scrappy but well-contested match tonight. I thought we shaded the game overall, but we’ll take the point and move on.

“We were very comfortable at 1-0, and then a complete accident for the penalty lets Sherborne back into the game when they really didn’t have much to go on.

“In the second half, we pushed for the winner and probably only made one mistake, which ended up in their goal. That shows you how punishing this level can be.

“The boys showed unbelievable belief and character when 1-2 down to get the last-minute equaliser, and it was nothing more than they deserved. It was a solid performance and result overall.”

Ringwood Town made it back-to-back draws with a hotly-contested 1-1 result with Newport IoW in which both sides constantly looked to score.

Ringwood Town’s Pat Correia made a scoring return to the first team line-up (Photo: Rob Brennan Photography)
Ringwood Town’s Pat Correia made a scoring return to the first team line-up (Photo: Rob Brennan Photography)

After surviving a razor-close offside side that almost released Newport’s Nicky Wyse, Ringwood took the lead after just six minutes thanks to Pat Correia, who showed he deserved his call-up back into the starting line-up.

Right before the two sides left the field for half-time, Newport found a way past Will Griffin after sustained pressure allowed Wyse to poke home.

Ringwood led a somewhat charmed life after the break, with Newport connecting with the frame of the goal on three separate occasions and missing a penalty, but at the end of proceedings, the honours were level.

New Milton Town came up against arguably Wessex Divison One’s best side, Hamworthy Rec, and despite an excellent showing in a goalless first half, Rec ran in four unanswered goals to win.

Hamworthy, who sit four points off the top spot with four games in hand, had two former Linnets players to thank for the result, with goalscorers George Deem and Tyler Rudd, who hit two, added to Olli Woolley’s, securing the four-goal win.

Hythe & Dibden came up against a dominant Moneyfields side, who raced into a three-goal lead before Cain Prentice pulled one back for the visitors.

However, the goal counted for little, and Moneyfields held on for the comfortable win. The goals came from Dec Seiden’s double and Callum Laycock.

Harry Yeadon grabbed a goal for Totton & Eling, but the seven that came in reply left them empty-handed, with Romsey Town taking the win.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More