Home   Sport   Article

Lymington battle back against Cinderford to secure league safety

More news, no ads


Southern League Division One
Lymington Town FC 3
Cinderford Town FC 2

LYMINGTON Town grabbed a thrilling late victory to ensure their league status for next season with a 3-2 win over relegation rivals Cinderford Town.

In their most important game of the season, Dave Lewis and Paul Masters' men battled back from two goals down on Saturday to consign Cinderford Town to a relegation play-off match.

The visitors took a 2-0 lead thanks to goals from Owen Taylor, but strikes from Freddie Bullard, Tim Stephenson and second-half substitute Callum Stratton lifted the south coast side clear of danger.

Lymington Town players celebrate Callum Stratton's late winner (photo: @Photogins)
Lymington Town players celebrate Callum Stratton's late winner (photo: @Photogins)

The first half did little to entertain a good crowd of just under 150, with both sides creating chances but unable to find the net in such an important fixture. However, during the half's closing stages, Owen Taylor broke the deadlock for the Foresters from close range.

After the restart, Lymington's prospects looked dire when Cinderford's Taylor slotted the ball past host keeper Nic Jones for a two-goal lead.

With the match slipping away, Lymington's Bullard reduced the arrears in the 57th minute before Paul Barber awarded a penalty. Bullard stepped up confidently, but Cinderford's keeper, also called Nic Jones, saved the shot, stunning the hosts. However, with 15 minutes remaining, Lymo pulled level thanks to a well-taken goal from Tim Stephenson.

Both keepers left the pitch with injuries and, as the match drew to a close, Lymo took advantage to go in front for the first time, with substitute Stratton slotting the winner in the 87th minute.

Lymington played again on Monday, losing 5-1 to promotion-chasing Winchester City away at the Simplyhealth City Ground.

The visitors finished the match with 10 players, with their goal coming from Bullard, who notched his 12th league effort of the season despite being out injured for a lengthy period.

Lymington Town: N. Jones, R. Drake, L. Churchill, T. Bailey, M. Green, T. Stephenson, S. Shearer, R. Fuller, F. Bullard, H. Cable, G. Britton. Subs: C. Stratton, D. Walker, J. Brookes, C. Davies, A. Biss.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More