Home   Sport   Article

Bashley FC smash Folland Sports for six in Sydenham Wessex League Cup quarter-final

Sydenham Wessex League Cup quarter-final

Folland Sports FC 1

Bashley FC 6

BASHLEY blew away the cobwebs that had gathered since their last match more than four months ago to come from behind before smashing six goals past Folland Sports to progress to the Sydenham Wessex League Cup semi-final.

Bashley manager Paul Morris was able to field his typical pre-lockdown team with returning dual-signings Sam Jackson and Harry Morgan.

Due to ground renovation at the Glen Max Stadium, Bashley’s scheduled home tie took place away at Folland Park.

Bashley found themselves a goal down in the first minute when Folland Sports’ speedy winger Clayd Roach outsprinted a back-pedalling Bashley defence to score with relative ease.

Bashley's Harry Morgan celebrates scoring (photo: Les Chase)
Bashley's Harry Morgan celebrates scoring (photo: Les Chase)

Bashley did well to survive the opening period, and it took a free-kick in the 18th minute to wake them from their malaise. The lethal Morgan won it before getting up and coolly dispatching a hard, well-placed shot that flew beyond the outstretched hands of diving keeper Henry Newman.

The wind was in Bashley’s sails, and they took over, with Sam Jackson – despite being slowed by an on-field injury – a willing target on the left where his collection and distribution was a constant threat.

A second goal was on the cards, and impressive work from Harry Bunce and Conor Whiteley invited Morgan to bundle the ball home and double his tally.

The visitors then enjoyed a drinks break and a chat while a Folland Sports forward took almost 10 minutes to decide whether to continue after a session with the physio.

Thankful for the recovery time, Bashley quickly added a third when Morgan redirected a Lewis Ross through-ball into the path of Bunce, who scored from close range.

Ollie Bradley replaced Jackson on the left in the second half, and Folland Sports threw caution to the wind, running roughshod over Bashley, who was still recovering from the extended 52-minute first half.

It took 25 minutes before the visitors re-found their gears, an event signalled by a run and fierce shot from Lewis Ross that brushed past Whiteley before hitting the net.

The floodgates well and truly opened, and two minutes later, Bunce’s solid low cross was guided home by Harry McGrath to make it 5-1.

The play was scrappy for the last 10 minutes, and tempers began to fray. However, this was all forgotten when Morgan nudged home in the final second of play to complete his hat-trick after good work by Bradley.

Bashley will take on Hamworthy United FC in the Sydenham Wessex League Cup semi-final on Tuesday 11th May.

Bashley: H. Gravett, D. Thompson, L. Farrugia, L. Aimson, H. Bunce, S. Jackson, L. Ross, B. Morris, C. Whiteley, H. Morgan, H. McGrath. Used Sub: O. Bradley. Subs: M. Crone, S. Thompson, B. Strickland.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More