Home   Sport   Article

Ellingham & Ringwood ease past Locksheath Pumas

More news, no ads


Hampshire Premier
Locksheath Pumas RFC 8
Ellingham & Ringwood RFC 34

ELLINGHAM & Ringwood secured back-to-back victories for the second time this season with a resounding 34-8 away win over Locksheath Pumas.

On a wet and windy day, in dreadful muddy conditions, E&R crossed the try line five times to kickstart the second half of the season in dominant style.

The Pumas started brightly, putting Ellingham under some early pressure. However, the visitors scored the first try after a successful lineout and driving maul, with lock forward Sam Linford diving over in the corner.

A very muddy and delighted Ellingham and Ringwood team (photo: Steve Benson)
A very muddy and delighted Ellingham and Ringwood team (photo: Steve Benson)

Unfortunately for Ellingham, full-back Chris Frost’s conversion attempt caught the wind and sailed wide.

After the half-hour mark, Locksheath Pumas scored a well-worked try to narrow the scores to 7-5.

Ellingham fought back, and towards the end of the half, their wing-three-quarter Will Jenkins dived over in the corner to score his side’s second try to give them a 10-5 lead at the break.

With the conditions in their favour in the second half, Ellingham applied a lot of early pressure and, after some ill-discipline from the home team, Frost kicked an easy penalty in front of the posts.

Locksheath fought back, and Ellingham’s lack of discipline allowed them to kick a penalty and reduce the deficit.

However, the score would be their last, with the referee brandishing a red card and reducing the home team to 14 players.

Ellingham made their extra player tell, with prop forward Tom Sampson crashing over for a try after a catch-and-drive at a line-out. Greg Thew successfully kicked the conversion between the sticks.

Coach Alan Steel made some changes, taking off Sam Linford, Andrew Kingswell, and Chris Frost for Chris Seaby in the centre, Ben Samuel on the flank and Matt Raybould on the wing, with Will Jenkins moving to fullback.

From another lineout, number eight Stuart Pearce crashed over for a try, and Thew again kicked the conversion.

Ellingham’s forwards were beginning to dominate the game, and lock Andrew Lorton dotted down for the last try, which Thew converted to bring the final score to 34-8.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More