Home   Sport   Article

Papa John's Cup rugby: Ellingham & Ringwood deliver pizza quarter with win over Uckfield

Papa John's Cup round two

Uckfield RFC 3

Ellingham & Ringwood RFC 22

ELLINGHAM & Ringwood made it to the quarter-final of the Papa John’s Cup after beating Uckfield in to be a tough and physical contest.

Supported by a good number of loyal supporters, E&R started slowly after the long trip to Uckfield in East Sussex, but they ultimately battled back to win 22-3.

Ellingham & Ringwood number eight Andrew Lorton
Ellingham & Ringwood number eight Andrew Lorton

Uckfield got off to a bright start, and after working through some phases in the first few minutes, they won a penalty, which their captain and scrum-half kicked to take an early lead.

Against a robust host, Ellingham fought back, with number eight Andrew Lorton using his strength to crash over for a try, which Chris Frost, playing at centre, converted.

As the game developed, Ellingham’s forwards proved too strong for the home team, especially in the scrums, and Uckfield regularly had to give ground.

With half-time approaching, Ellingham’s tight-head prop David Budd crossed over for their second try. However, the conversion sailed wide, which meant Ellingham went into the break with a 12-3 lead.

Ellingham continued to apply pressure after the restart, and ill discipline from the home team resulted in a penalty award. With the score so close, Ellingham’s captain Henry Benson asked Frost to take the kick, which was successful and the lead was extended to 15-3.

Halfway through the second half, Ellingham’s head coach Alan Steel brought on three replacements: Brad Thomas for Mike Treloar in the second row, Jacob Morrish for Fraser Cockeram in the back row, and Brad Evans replacing Paddy Johnson on the left wing.

The game continued as a hard-fought affair, but Uckfield never threatened Ellingham’s try-line despite their best efforts.

With 10 minutes remaining, Ellingham put some phases together deep in the Uckfield half, and Brad Thomas managed to break through several tackles and score Ellingham’s third try of the game.

With Chris Frost off with a dislocated shoulder, the kicking duties fell to fly-half Tom Veneroso, who popped over the conversion to make the final score 22-3.

Ellingham will play Chipstead at home on Saturday in the Papa John’s Cup quarter-final.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More