Home   Sport   Article

Counties 2 Hampshire rugby: Ellingham & Ringwood batter Chichester seconds

Counties 2 Hampshire

Ellingham & Ringwood 98

Chichester II 12

ELLINGHAM & Ringwood were forced to make six changes for this rescheduled league fixture thanks to some being at Twickenham to watch England play Scotland in the Six Nations.

E&R started brightly with centre Danny Patrice returning from injury, cutting a great line to score his first try of the game after seven minutes, with fullback Chris Frost kicking the conversion.

Chichester fought back with a tray after E&R gave away a number of penalties. Shortly afterwards, wing-three-quarter Ben Carey, who was also returning from injury, raced through to score in the corner.

Ellingham & Ringwood's Tom Sampson
Ellingham & Ringwood's Tom Sampson

Flank forward Ted Johnson then burst through from his own half so score a great try, but unfortunately damaged his hamstring in the process so he was replaced by young Jacob Morrish.

Ellingham's forwards then started to apply the pressure, and prop Tom Sampson smashed over the line for a try, with Frost kicking the conversion.

Frost then joined the backline and raced through to score, which he duly converted himself.

Danny Patrice scored his second of the game smashing through Chichester's defence, and again Frost kicked the extras.

On the cusp of half time, Ellingham's number-eight Stu Pearce crashed over, with Frost on the money once more.

Captain James Fisher led from the front at the start of the second half and scored a good try in front of the large crowd of home supporters.

Chris Frost then grabbed his second of the game and popped over the conversion.

With Ellingham's forwards dominating, both Fisher and Sampson scored their second tries, Frost successfully converting one.

E&R flanker Fraser Cockeram then got his name on the scoresheet after a trademark darting runs, before first-team debutant Daniel Parker sprinted from outside the opposition 22 to dive.

Ellingham's second-team skipper Corben Hills, who came on as a replacement in the centre, then smashed through the visitors' defence to score a try, then repeated this feat shortly afterwards for his second try.

Despite facing a heavy defeat, Chichester did not give up and intercepted a pass to score their second try.

Ellingham then applied pressure on the visitors' try line, and after some good work by their forwards, scrum half Sammy Veneroso darted over for the last of the game to make the final score 98-12.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More