Home   Sport   Article

AFC Totton beaten by Saints B in pre-season friendly

More news, no ads


Pre-season friendly
AFC Totton 0
Southampton B 1

AN EARLY goal for Saints B consigned AFC Totton to a narrow defeat on Tuesday in the last pre-season friendly before their season kicks off next Saturday.

Rylee Wright scored the only goal of the game but the Stags had a host of chances, particularly in a strong second-half.

It took Saints five minutes to get on the board after they won a loose ball in midfield, threading through to Wright who made no mistake slotting past Lewis Noice.

Jireh Oyebamiji in action for AFC Totton (picture: Craig Hobbs Photography)
Jireh Oyebamiji in action for AFC Totton (picture: Craig Hobbs Photography)

Shortly afterward, AFC Totton had a decent chance to equalise from a cross to the far post, but Scott Rendell headed straight at Saints keeper Matt Hall.

After a period of possession for the Stags, during which Charlie Kennedy's low shot on the edge of the box was well blocked, Saints won a dangerous free kick 25 yards from the Totton goal as Tommy Lee Higgs was brought down.

Thankfully for the hosts, Ryan Finnigan was unable replicate the heroics of first-team free-kick wizard James Ward-Prowse, and Noice made a comfortable save.

Two free kicks in quick succession for Totton saw a promising scramble spoiled by an offside flag, followed by an excellent chance for Harry Medway at the far post as he headed just wide.

After another fine spell for Totton, Jireh Oyebamiji took on Hall who spilt his save into the path of Jake Adams whose shot was cleared off the line by Will Tizzard.

Goal-scorer Wright looked to add a second but his ball across goal was well cleared by Callum Baughan.

Saints had another chance to extend their lead as Will Ferry got on the end of a long ball over the top, only to slice just wide.

Totton's Jake Masterton made two fine sliding tackles to stop further attacks by the visitors before the end of the half.

Lewis Waterfield (right) on the ball for AFC Totton (picture: Craig Hobbs Photography)
Lewis Waterfield (right) on the ball for AFC Totton (picture: Craig Hobbs Photography)

Pascal Kpohomouh and Lewis Waterfield came on to replace Baughan and Masterton for the second half, which saw a lengthy delay 10 minutes in as Ryan Finnigan came off worse in a tackle with Oyebamiji. After being stretchered off in a leg brace, he was thankfully up and about among the subs later on.

Totton mounted attack after attack in the second 45, with Kpohomouh firing wide, and Rendell's powerful header hitting a team-mate on its way to a certain goal.

A mis-timed clearance from Saints almost saw an own goal, and the resulting corner was just cleared after a goal-mouth melee.

With five minutes of normal time left, Totton finally had the ball in the net, but for the referee to pull it back for a Saints head injury.

Into six minutes of added time, Ethan Taylor's whipped free-kick missed all of his team-mates and flew inches wide of the post.

Despite their domination, Stags failed to find an equaliser and the match finish 1-0 to Saints.

AFC Totton get their season under way at home to Bishop's Cleeve on 13th August.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More