Home   Sport   Article

Derby delight for Christchurch in shock win over Brockenhurst

More news, no ads


Wessex Premier
Christchurch FC 3
Brockenhurst FC 2

CHRISTCHURCH continue to show Wessex Premier is where they belong with a fine 3-2 win against Brockenhurst who came into the match joint top of the league.

Under the management of Callum Brooks, Christchurch have stormed out of the relegation zone, going five unbeaten and taking nine points on the way.

Eder Batista put the hosts in front, to the delight of the 225 fans at Hurn Bridge, but once Silvano Obeng and Christie Ward struck, giving the Badgers a half-time lead, even the most ardent of Priory supporters must have feared the worst.

Christchurch's Luke Ansell and Brockenhurst's Connor Ings (photo: Les Chase)
Christchurch's Luke Ansell and Brockenhurst's Connor Ings (photo: Les Chase)

However, after the break, Church were more clinical, with Chris Speers and Matt Morris striking to lift their side six points clear of the relegation zone.

Christchurch found the back of the net with their first effort on goal after 25 minutes when Brazilian striker Batista was in the right place at the right time to smash a half-volley past James Mayo.

The lead lasted two minutes when Badgers' top scorer Obeng tapped home the loose ball after Miles Bartram could only parry Ward's free-kick.

With the break 10 minutes away, the game's best goal arrived from the boot of Brockenhurst number 10 Ward, who struck a sublime 30-yard free-kick which curled into the top left corner, giving keeper Bartram no chance.

Christchurch drew level after the break when shot-stopper Mayo knocked Batista's low free-kick back into the danger area, allowing skipper Chris Speers to finish.

With everything to play for, winger Morris showed electric pace to run on to Batista's ball behind the Badgers' defence before rolling it inside the near post for the lead.

Brockenhurst had chances to level the match down the home straight, but an outstanding performance from Bartram between the sticks kept them at bay.

With referee Adrian Berry playing 10 minutes' added time in response to Christchurch's gamesmanship and tempers flaring, Ward had a glorious chance to snatch a late equaliser, but it flew wide as Church held on for all three points.

Christchurch: M. Bartram, R. Santos, O. Woolley, C. Spears, L. MacArthur, L. Ansell, J. Craig, J. Baxter, E. Batista, M. Marshall, M. Morris. Subs: J. King, T. Bostock, S. Gilbert, F. Lowe, C. Martin.

Brockenhurst: J. Mayo, C. Ings, J. Chamberlain, P. Wilson, J. Smith, B. Magookin, K. O'Donnell, A. Haynes, S. Obeng, C. Ward, M. Speechley-Price. Subs: M. Taylor, R. Moore, L. Simpson, M. Sheedy, S. Yang.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More