First shared ownership homes reserved for New Forest locals on sale

0
5586
shared ownership new forest
The new homes in Mulberry Close, Blackfield

THE first of New Forest District Council’s shared ownership homes have gone on sale reserved for locals to help them get on the property ladder.

Advertisement

The two semi-detached, three-bedroom homes in Mulberry Close, Blackfield, each have a fitted kitchen including cooker and dishwasher, underfloor heating and private gardens.

Shared ownership provides an opportunity for people to buy an initial share of between 25% and 75% of the property, paying rent on the remaining share.

Further shares can then be purchased, with rent reducing as ownership of the property increase, until ultimately it can be bought outright.

The current properties are on sale for £78,750 for a 25% share. Additional rent on the remaining 75% and service charges would amount to a further £600 per calendar month.

The council’s cabinet member for housing, Cllr Jill Cleary, said: “I am thrilled to offer the first homes in our shared ownership scheme for sale.

“These high quality, new properties will provide ideal family homes for local people who need affordable housing options in the district and, for many, offers an exciting opportunity to take their first step onto the housing ladder in an area with high prices locally.

“If you have a local connection to the district and are interested in owning your own home but can’t afford to buy on the open market, consider shared ownership as an affordable option.”

The council said it has committed to offering a variety of affordable housing options in the district. In 2018 it launched a push to provide at least 600 new council homes by 2026.

To be eligible for shared ownership, households must be registered with the Help to Buy agent at www.helptobuyagent3.org.uk

Priority for NFDC properties will be given to those with a local connection to the district.

Homes will be advertised on the council’s website by searching ‘shared ownership’ at www.newforest.gov.uk

Advertisement