Three local schools and care home confirm coronavirus cases

0
5915
schools care home coronavirus
A resident tested positive at Ashley Lodge

CASES of coronavirus have been confirmed in three local schools in the past week, and a care home last month.

Advertisement

Both Our Lady & St Joseph Catholic Primary School in Pennington and Ringwood Junior School sent letters to parents to make them aware of the positive test results.

In addition, parents of Year 3 pupils at Mudeford Junior School – asked to keep their children home for two weeks when a second adult was confirmed with the virus on site – have been told they should remain there for another week after a third suspected case.

On Tuesday, head teacher at Our Lady & St Joseph, Gerida Montague, said children in the affected bubble had been told to self-isolate at home until 30th September, along with teaching and support staff who had been in contact with the pupil.

The school said it was looking to trial live online teaching to those who are self-isolating but would remain open for the rest of the pupils.

Our Lady and St Joseph (picture: Google)

Mrs Montague wrote: “Fortunately, the child is currently not too unwell, they have a cold and only experienced a temperature on one morning.”

She reminded parents to call 119 if their child displayed either a high temperature, a new continuous cough or a loss of smell or taste.

The head at Ringwood junior, Sally-Ann Evans, said there had been one positive case this week and added that the situation was being monitored.

She told the A&T that a small number of children who had been in direct prolonged contact with the affected person will have to self-isolate for 14 days, but the rest of the school remained open.

Remote learning arrangements have been put in place for those who are self-isolating, she added.

Ringwood Junior School (picture: Google)

Mudeford Junior head teacher Mark Partridge confirmed the second adult case last Friday, and Year 3 pupils were due to return to school today (Wednesday) having isolated since 8th September. However, they have been asked to stay off until 30th September as a precaution while the adult awaits test results.

A case was reported last month at the Bupa-run Ashley Lodge care home in New Milton which said it had alerted all residents’ families, and no further staff or residents tested positive or showed any symptoms.

Paul Torrance, regional director for Ashley Lodge, said: “Safety is our absolute priority, and we’re carrying out the government’s regular testing programme for all residents and staff.

“At the end of August one resident tested positive for Covid-19, though had not shown any symptoms. To prevent the spread of infection, and in line with government guidance, they were cared for in isolation by a small team using full PPE.

“The team at Ashley Lodge continue to work exceptionally hard, and to follow strict infection control and physical distancing measures to keep everybody safe.”

Advertisement