A MAN died after a blaze broke out at his home in Ringwood yesterday evening (Wednesday).
Paramedics pronounced the 72-year-old dead at the scene within an hour of firefighters responding to reports the lounge of the bungalow in Kingsfield was in flames shortly after 5.30pm.
Wearing breathing apparatus, the fire crews from the town and Eastleigh battled alongside Dorset counterparts to bring the emergency under control.
Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service confirmed crews were carrying out an investigation to establish the cause of the blaze.
A Hampshire Police spokesperson said: “The body of a 72-year-old man was found in the house. His next-of-kin have been informed.
“The death is not being treated as suspicious at this stage and a file is being prepared for the coroner.”
This morning flowers had been left on the doorstep of the property.
In the wake of the tragic incident, the service has reminded residents to ensure their homes are fitted with working smoke alarms.
These should be regularly tested, with escape plans prepared.
“Smoke alarms provide valuable early warning of a fire, allowing families to get out, stay out and call 999,” the spokesperson said.
For more information on fire safety in the home visit www.hantsfire.gov.uk/keeping-safe.