Home   News   Article

Weekend win for five-star Christchurch FC over Shaftesbury

More news, no ads


Christchurch FC kept their title aspirations alive as they beat Shaftesbury 5-1 at Hurn Bridge. Photo: Les Chase
Christchurch FC kept their title aspirations alive as they beat Shaftesbury 5-1 at Hurn Bridge. Photo: Les Chase

Sydenhams Premier: Christchurch FC 5-1 Shaftesbury

CHRISTCHURCH FC ran riot over the weekend with four goals in the second half to beat Shaftesbury 5-1 at Hurn Bridge.

Before the game, joint managers Ollie Cherrett and Wayne Smith picked up the Sydenhams Premier club of the month award after winning all five matches in February without conceding a goal.

Christchurch got on the front foot early when Matt Neale's enticing cross was headed wide by forward Ash Pope. Shortly after, the hosts took the lead as a long throw from Ron Frost was poked home by Neale through a crowded box on 11 minutes.

Despite Eddie Perrett nearly heading home from close range, Christchurch were well on top, and with slick passing moves mixed with a dangerous long-throw attack, quality chances were plentiful.

Christchurch did suffer a blow on 30 minutes when Billy Walker was unable to continue due to a leg injury and was replaced by John Blake.

In the second half, the hosts doubled their lead as Pope's lofted cross was headed back into the danger zone by Harvey Wright and was nodded in by Max Wilcock from six yards out.

Shaftesbury reduced the deficit four minutes later when Blake fouled River Smith 25 yards from goal. The resulting free-kick was swung in, and an unmarked Nick Hewlett headed past keeper Lewis Gunstone-Grey.

However, Christchurch stepped it up a gear as Wright redeemed himself from his earlier foul to get on the end of a whipped cross.

They put the game beyond doubt on 72 minutes as Pope's effort was well saved by Shaftesbury keeper Dan Card, but his parry fell straight to Ben Satterley who scored the fifth header of the game.

The home side continued to dominate, but several good saves from Card kept the home side out. Satterley was able to cap off a resounding Priory performance with a curling strike from the edge of the box that rippled the back of the net.

Christchurch manager Ollie Cherrett told the A&T: "It was another solid performance and three points. I thought we started brightly and took control of the game. We should have been at least 3-0 up at half-time.

"We started the second half a little sloppy, and I was disappointed to concede, but after that, I felt we showed real quality and killed the game."

Christchurch fully deserved the victory and keeps them within touching distance of top spot in the league.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More