Violent boss's sentencing put off to protect jobs at Christmas
A JUDGE has delayed sentencing the director of a construction company for a serious assault to avoid putting at risk the jobs of more than 20 people just before Christmas.
Haines and co-defendant Ryan Hood (32), of Deneside Copse, Pennington, appeared at court on Tuesday morning to stand trial over a kidnap charge.
It had been alleged the pair jointly by force or fraud took Callum Woolgar against his will on 9th February 2018.
Both denied the charge but discussions took place between their barristers and the prosecutor counsel just before the trial started and a plea bargain was struck.
Haines and Hood then went into the dock and pleaded guilty to one count of jointly inflicting grievous bodily harm on Mr Woolgar.
Judge Pawson indicated he was contemplating sentencing the pair immediately, but Haines’ barrister Berenice Mulvanny successfully applied for a delay.
She said father-of-one Haines was the director of a construction company that employed 26 people. He had not anticipated a plea deal be struck that could lead to him being immediately sentenced, and were he to be sent down, they could all lose their jobs, she continued.
Having heard that, Judge Pawson responded: “I will put the matter back for him [Haines] to get his affairs in order.”
Judge Pawson said it was a “serious offence in any view” the pair had admitted to committing and “all options”, including custody remained open.
He bailed both men on condition they live and sleep at their respective homes to return to the court for sentence on 17th January.
“On the face of it, custody is appropriate,” Judge Pawson added. “That is something the sentencing judge will have to look at in due course.”