Home   News   Article

Double garage destroyed after flames spread from compost bin in Lymington Road, Milford



More news, no ads

LEARN MORE


FLAMES destroyed a double garage after spreading from a compost bin outside a neighbouring New Forest home on Saturday afternoon.

The alarm was raised around 4.30pm as an inferno engulfed the large outbuilding in Lymington Road, Milford, and firefighters battled for over two hours to bring it under control.

By the time the crews from New Milton, Lymington and Beaulieu had contained the emergency, the garage was gutted and had partially collapsed.

There was also heat damage to the house at the address.

It was discovered the blaze had started within a compost heap in an adjoining garden before spreading up the wooden fence and into the garage roof space.

This incident prompted Hampshire & Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service to issue a warning to gardeners.

Garage fire in Milford (picture: Patrick Kneath) (48174762)
Garage fire in Milford (picture: Patrick Kneath) (48174762)

“Compost bins should be turned over and aired regularly in hot weather, otherwise there is a chance they can overheat and burst into flames,” a spokesperson said.

“Gardeners should be aware of the risks compost could pose and to keep compost bins/heaps in the shade, well away from buildings and easily combustible materials.”



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More