Home   News   Article

Victorious Bashley’s Beard gives Christchurch a hairy time

More news, no ads


Bashley’s Cameron Beard in action against Christchurch
Bashley’s Cameron Beard in action against Christchurch

Sydenhams Wessex Premier: Bashley 1-0 Christchurch

IT took a late second-half goal by prolific Bashley marksman Cameron Beard to settle a keenly contested Sydenhams Premier meeting between Bashley and Christchurch.

The Church made their intentions known from the whistle and had the crowd of 207 wondering if the league table had been reversed.

Bash keeper Callum Ward was heavily engaged within the first minute and did well to parry a shot from striker Lucas Murrain. The siege was broken a few minutes later when an excellent move from Bashley was left unfinished when Jamie Webber sliced his intended cross.

The game was fast and furious with chances at both ends but with Ward the busier keeper.

The battle was intense with Christchurch the stronger; their reading of the game and energic hounding and tackling having nullified the Bash attack. It took until the final minutes of the first half before the balance swung Bashley’s way with both Dan Munday and Cameron Beard having chances and Hugh Dathan reclaiming his wing.

It was a more determined Bashley that started the second-half, Jack Smith came on for Webber and the home side adopted a higher line. Harrison White shot over bar and a few minutes later his free-kick from just outside the box was scrambled past the post. Whilst at the other end Ward was delighted when a free header sailed over his bar.

Bashley strengthened their mid-field by bringing on holiday scholars Harry Morgan and Harvey Slade whilst Beard spearheaded the attack after the exit of Munday with a strained back.

When the game-decider came, it was a beauty. A defence-splitting pass from Brad Morris set Dathan on a run and outpacing his defender, he crossed from just inside the dead-ball line to the well positioned Beard who gave a master class in heading by rising high to claim the winning goal.

Beard was unlucky not to double his tally when after a burst on goal, the ball was taken from his shooting boot by the impressive Church captain Kieran Douglas.

The final ten minutes belonged to Callum Ward and the Bash defence as they heroically defended their slender lead. Praise to both sides for a battle royal.

Bashley: Ward, Dathan, Aimson, Morris, Thompson, Rolls, Webber, Strickland, Munday, White, Beard. Used Subs: Smith, Morgan, Slade.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More