Home   News   Article

Three people treated by paramedics after chlorine spill at David Lloyd gym in Ringwood

More news, no ads


THREE people required treatment from paramedics after a chlorine spill at the David Lloyd gym in Ringwood this afternoon (Tuesday).

The gas leak also caused the evacuation of the Christchurch Road facility.

Firefighter crews from Ringwood, Beaulieu and Redbridge were supported by specialist hazmat vehicles from Winchester and colleagues from across the border in Dorset and Wiltshire in dealing with the incident, a Hampshire Fire & Rescue spokesperson confirmed.

David Lloyd Ringwood, fire trucks and police cars outside (51234025)
David Lloyd Ringwood, fire trucks and police cars outside (51234025)

"Engines were called shortly before 1pm after a chlorine spillage and a strong smell were reported from an external plant room at the site on Christchurch Road," they added.

"The centre was evacuated as three casualties were treated by South Central Ambulance Service paramedics as a precaution and discharged.

"The leak was contained by firefighters who then used monitoring equipment to check gas levels within the main building, with no dangerous gas detected.

"Crews have now handed the incident back over to the site manager, who will keep the building closed for a couple of hours to allow it to be fully ventilated."

A Hampshire police spokesman added: "We were called out at 1.04pm this afternoon to assist Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service with a chlorine spillage at a leisure centre on Christchurch Road in Ringwood.

"Three people have been treated for minor injuries at the scene by paramedics."

David Lloyd has been approached for comment.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More