Home   News   Article

Sydenhams Wessex League Cup round-up: wins for Bashley, Blackfield & Langley, Brockenhurst, Christchurch and New Milton

More news, no ads


Hythe's Cain Prentice and Newport's Martin McDonough (picture: Les Chase)
Hythe's Cain Prentice and Newport's Martin McDonough (picture: Les Chase)

THE latest round of Sydenhams Wessex League Cup action provided plenty of drama with mixed results for local sides.

HYTHE & Dibden FC’s Cup run came to an end against Newport after a closely-contested match that went to a penalty shootout.

Newport took the lead just before half-time when Connor Kelly converted from the penalty spot before substitute Mic Park levelled the match on the hour mark. As the penalty shootout progressed to sudden death, Newport held their nerve to win 9-8 with right-back Gary Hughes scoring the winning spot-kick.

Bashley FC struck first in an open match and never looked back during their impressive 4-1 cup win over Andover New Street.

Bashley took a 2-0 lead through Harrys McGrath and Morgan before Andover opened the second-half with a strike to make it 2-1. Striker Morgan completed his brace before a debut goal from Jean-Pierre Alexander sealed the Bashley win.

Sydenhams Wessex Premier side Blackfield & Langley FC won 4-0 against Laverstock & Ford in the only local tie that involved sides from different leagues.

The extraordinary match remained goalless until the 81st minute when Fatah Makhloufi opened the floodgates. Laverstock’s resistance collapsed and Nasim Meddah, Makhloufi with his brace and River Smith compounded the misery to seal the Gang Warily-based side’s progression.

Christchurch beat fellow Sydenhams Premier Division side Fareham Town 1-0 after a Max Wilcock goal in the 48th minute.

The home side’s misery was complete when Connor Messenbird was sent off for two bookable offences in his first game back from suspension.

Sydenhams Premier Division’s Brockenhurst FC won 4-2 on penalties to Cowes Sports after the two sides played out a goalless draw on the Isle of Wight.

The Badgers could have had a first-half penalty when Harrison White was bundled over in the box. However, referee Liam White waved play on. Brad Magookin also went close when he struck the bar from a free-kick.

Keeper Jon Webb saved the first two Cowes penalties to put his side in a commanding position. He completed the job by taking and converting the winning spot-kick.

New Milton Town FC progressed to the next round after a resounding 3-1 win over Downton. Both sides play in the Sydenhams Division One.

First-half goals from Charlie Turner and man-of-the match Chris Long gave New Milton a 2-1 lead. Downton scored through Lee Vint, but Tyrrell Sampson steadied the nerves with his 72nd-minute strike.

Totton & Eling had a night to forget after Sydenhams Division One rivals Alton scored four second-half goals to seal a resounding 6-1 victory.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More