Home   News   Article

Survivor of attempted suicide by train kills himself in Brockenhurst

Paul Arnold's body was discovered at Brockenhurst Train Station
Paul Arnold's body was discovered at Brockenhurst Train Station

A MAN killed himself on the railway line at Brockenhurst in the same spot where he suffered life-changing injuries after stepping in front of a train in 2012, an inquest heard.

Paul Arnold (29), from Bournemouth, had split up with his girlfriend just hours before he was found on the tracks on 23rd November last year at 5.20am.

Winchester Coroner's Court was told Sean Trive was the driver of a tanker train when it passed through Brockenhurst station at 5am.

In a statement, Mr Trive said he was travelling at just under 60mph in extreme darkness when he saw an obstacle on the line around 20-25 feet ahead. He thought it may have been a bike and applied the brakes but could not stop in time.

Mr Trive called the signaller at the station and told him he could see no sign of damage, so was told to continue his journey. It was only later that he found out that a body had been discovered.

A statement was read on behalf of Phillip Morgan, a South West Trains driver, who was heading to Portsmouth from Bournemouth.

At 5.20am he was told by the signaller to proceed with caution due to an earlier report of something on the line.

In his statement he said he was travelling at around 10mph and had just passed the railway crossing when he saw a body on the line, so raised the alarm.

Rebecca Saunders of the British Transport Police told the inquest she had spoken to Paul's family and traced his last movements prior to his death.

She confirmed he had argued with his girlfriend at their flat in Bournemouth and their relationship had ended. She left around 8.30pm and he made repeated calls and sent messages to her, which were not responded to.

He drove to Brockenhurst station, arriving at 3.34am, and sent a message to her mother, informing her of his intentions.

Ms Saunders told the inquest that six years prior to his death, Paul had made a “concerted effort” to take his own life in the same spot, around 100 metres from the crossing, following a breakdown of a different relationship.

Although he survived, he had one leg and a foot amputated in addition to suffering other injuries. As a result, he wore prosthetic legs.

Pathologist Dr Vipul Foria, who carried out the post mortem examination, reported there were no traces of alcohol or drugs in his system.

Recording a conclusion of suicide, coroner Grahame Short said: “I'm clear that this was a deliberate act and he chose to end his life following his relationship break-up the previous evening.”

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More