Home   News   Article

Two people seriously injured in collision between ambulance and car in Barrack Road, Christchurch

TWO people were badly hurt in a collision between an ambulance on blue lights and a car at a busy junction in Christchurch.

The incident took place at the traffic lights in Barrack Road by the turn-off to Stour Road around 8.30pm yesterday (Thursday).

The ambulance was reportedly on blue lights when the collision took place
The ambulance was reportedly on blue lights when the collision took place

Fellow paramedics rushed to the scene along with police and firefighters, and the road was closed.

Both the driver of the Nissan Juke and a passenger in the ambulance had suffered serious injuries. The ambulance’s driver was treated for minor injuries.

A local fire crew assisted in providing casualty care and making the scene safe by stemming a fuel leak from the crashed ambulance.

The road closure remained in place for three hours while teams worked at the scene. Council workers were called out to repair damage to the traffic lights and railings.

A Dorset Police spokesperson said: “Dorset Police was called at 8.34pm on Thursday 3rd June 2021 to a report of a collision involving an ambulance and a car on Barrack Road at the junction with Stour Road in Christchurch.

“It was reported that the ambulance was on blue lights at the time of the collision.

“Officers attended with the fire and ambulance services. The local authority was also made aware due to damage caused to the traffic lights and railings.

“The driver of the ambulance sustained minor injuries and a passenger sustained serious injuries. The driver of the car sustained serious injuries.”

The spokesperson added: “The road was closed to allow emergency services to deal with the incident. It reopened at around 11.35pm.”

A South Central Ambulance Service spokesperson said: “I can confirm that we were contacted by our crew at 8.35pm to advise of a collision involving another vehicle and themselves.

“We sent to the scene an ambulance crew and an ambulance officer supported by resources from South Western Ambulance Service.

“Two patients were taken to Poole General Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.”

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More