Home   News   Article

Ringwood Town go toe-to-toe with local rivals Verwood

More news, no ads


Ringwood Town suffered a 2-1 defeat to their local rivals Verwood Town in Sydenhams Division One
Ringwood Town suffered a 2-1 defeat to their local rivals Verwood Town in Sydenhams Division One

Sydenhams Division One: Ringwood Town 1-2 Verwood Town

RINGWOOD Town were unable to avenge their FA Vase exit to Verwood last month after they were beaten by their local rivals 2-1 at the Macra Stadium.

Jordy Coltman put the hosts in front midway through the first half, but they were pegged back after the break by Lee Vint brace that secured victory for the Potters in Sydenhams Division One.

It was a cagey affair with chances at a premium in the first half. Verwood had the first clear opportunity when striker Nathan Gray weaved past several Ringwood defenders, but keeper Sam Reilly stopped his venomous strike. However, it was the hosts who opened the scoring seemingly against the run of play.

Ben Harris took a quick free-kick which fizzed low across the box, Coltman got the final touch which evaded Verwood shot-stopper Chris Lynch and the ball nestled into the bottom corner. This spurred on the hosts as they looked to find a second goal but could not find a way through and went into the break a goal ahead.

Second-half shuffle

A double change from Verwood instigated a shift in the game as the visitors looked to press the Ringwood defence. Verwood were level after 67 minutes when substitute Ethan Maddocks picked out Vint in the box who coolly slotted through Reilly’s legs.

The Potters continued to press with victory in their sight while Ringwood were dangerous on the counter-attack. Verwood secured the win three minutes from time as Vint scored his second following a goalmouth scramble that saw his low strike find the back of the net.

Ringwood manager Richard Morse told the A&T: "Last night was disappointing as I thought we were the better team on the night and deserved more but that's what football does when your luck is down. The group and I remain positive and are confident that we can turn these unfortunate results around."

Other midweek results

Bashley produced their second win in a week over AFC Stoneham. Goals from Ollie Smith, Harry McGrath and Lewis Ross put the Bash into the next round of the Southampton Senior Cup.

Hythe and Dibden were knocked out of the Southampton Senior Cup after a 5-1 defeat at Sholing.

Lymington advance into the next round with a 3-2 victory over Hamble Club Reserves at the Sports Ground.

AFC Totton also went into the pot for the next round after a 5-0 win over Folland Sports at the Snows Stadium.

Christchurch were beaten 4-3 on penalties by the Royal Navy FA in the Hampshire Senior Cup. The Priory were unable to hang onto their two-goal advantage and failed to clinch victory from the shootout.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More