Residents forced to flee their homes from launderette fire
RESIDENTS living above a launderette had to flee to safety when a blaze broke out last night (Monday).
The alarm was raised just before 9pm and fire crews raced to Tweedy Laundry in Rumbridge Street, Totton.
A spokesperson for Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service told the A&T it had used two breathing apparatus and three jet crews to tackle the fire, which was extinguished by 11.20pm.
The fire was believed to have started at the rear of the laundry and caused around 50% fire damage.
The flats above also suffered extensive smoke damage.
Tweedy Laundry did not respond to a request for a comment.
The manager of Sam’s Barber Shop next door, who asked not to be named, said: “We’ve got the smell of smoke but we’re not affected.
“I believe all the people in the flats got out okay”.
One of the residents of the flats, Chelsea Brunsdon, told the A&T: “I have a clean-up mission on my hands”.