Home   News   Article

Lymington’s Oakhaven Hospice appealing for public help amid ‘uncertain future’

LYMINGTON’S cherished Oakhaven Hospice is appealing for public help as it faces the perfect storm of reduced income amid the cost-of-living crisis, inflation and increased demand for its services

The charity says its future is “uncertain” after reporting a shortfall of £100,000 against expected income for the first four months of the financial year.

Andrew Ryde, CEO of Oakhaven, said it was thanks to the community that Oakhaven has flourished over the years.

Oakhaven Hospice’s future is “uncertain”
Oakhaven Hospice’s future is “uncertain”

“The cost-of-living crisis is impacting each and every one of us, but we ask that you consider if you can help Oakhaven at this difficult time to ensure we can continue to provide support to patients and their families, now and for generations to come,” he said.

“Any amount, however small, will help us to continue providing our much-needed care and support services free of charge for people in the New Forest, Totton and Waterside area.”

Mr Ryde said the the charity was “determined” to continue meeting the needs of its communities.

“It is so important that we are able to carry on providing all our services free of charge for patients and their loved ones, in their time of need,” he continued.

“Around 1,400 patients and their families benefited from Oakhaven’s support last year, with 3,200 local people visiting our Coates Centre for wellbeing support.

“Our community nursing teams provided end-of-life support free of charge to more than 1,000 people in their own homes.”

Oakhaven prides itself on providing dignity in death, making every moment matter, and providing support for families young and old, both at the hospice and in people’s own homes.

Just 11% of Oakhaven’s annual costs are covered by governmental “statutory income”; the remaining 89% must be met by donations, gifts in wills, investments, and money raised by Oakhaven’s shops and fundraising events and activities.

The profits from the wholly-owned subsidiary, Oakhaven Care Ltd, which provides paid-for domiciliary care in the local area, also help fund the running of the hospice.

According to the charity, its situation is “by no means unique”. Hospices throughout the UK are reporting similar income deficits, it says, and the prediction by Hospice UK is for a shortfall of nearly £150m across the sector by the end of the year.

“With the difficulties being experienced across the NHS, it is unlikely that any further hospice funding will be forthcoming from government sources,” Oakhaven pointed out.

“The hospice supports so many in their time of need; could you now help Oakhaven?”

To make a donation, set up a direct debit to make a regular gift, or leave money to Oakhaven in a will, visit www.oakhavenhospice.co.uk/give-now-for-the-future

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More