Plan for 79 homes on derelict Lyndhurst Park Hotel site
PROPOSALS have been submitted for 79 homes on the site of the derelict Lyndhurst Park Hotel, including a plan to retain the landmark frontage.
The application for the property, parts of which were designed by Sherlock Holmes author Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle, has been handed in to the national park authority by Christchurch-based Hoburne Developments.
which made a number of failed attempts to win permission for flats.PegasusLifeIt bought the 60-bed hotel from retirement housebuilder
The new designs for the 1.6-hectare plot would involve demolishing part of the existing building, which has already started to fall down in places, as well as constructing three commercial units along the High Street.
The scheme would comprise six houses and 73 flats, with 115 parking spaces provided – but the public documents do not appear to allocate any of them as affordable.
There may be an early obstacle to Hoburne’s plan as the numbers appear to clash with the NPA’s policy for the 1.6-hecatre site which is designated for just 50 homes, of which half should be affordable, plus tourism uses.
The application said: “The proposals would make more efficient use of urban, brownfield land, bringing forward an allocated site for development
“The proposed dwellings would provide a range of modern, fit-for-purpose accommodation types, helping to meet identified needs.
“The historic elements of the former hotel would be retained and reinstated to their former glory, thus leading to considerable enhancements to both the site (as a heritage asset) and the conservation area.”
It added: “The design, scale and high quality finish of the development are appropriate to the locality, befitting of this prominent site at the gateway to the village, and the design has been carefully conceived to avoid harm to neighbour amenity and ensure that a comfortable relationship subsists.”
Originally known as Glasshayes, the property was built between 1806 and 1816 as a country house but had several additions over the years. It first became a hotel in 1895 when it was named The Grand. Guests included Margaret Thatcher and the Beatles.
In 1970 it was bought by Forestglades Hotels which changed its name to Lyndhurst Park. It closed its doors in 2014 and was bought by PegasusLife.
The NPA is scheduled to make a decision sometime after the deadline for public comments on 25th February.