Home   News   Article

New Milton RFC close Hampshire Premier season with big result

More news, no ads


New Milton RFC's Brendan Treacey offloads against Tottonians II
New Milton RFC's Brendan Treacey offloads against Tottonians II

Hampshire Premier League: Tottonians II 5-48 New Milton

NEW MILTON RUGBY CLUB ended their 2018/19 Hants Premier season on a high after a fine 48-5 away win at Tottonians II on Saturday.

The margin of the victory meant that New Milton leapfrogged Millbrook on the final day of the season to finish an up and down campaign in fifth place.

Final match for winning coach Dunn

The game marked New Milton coach David Dunn’s final match in charge before he hangs up his coaching boots.

Before the game he spoke to the A&T about his imminent retirement. He said: “Personally it’s a sad day for me, but in terms of the development of New Milton Rugby Club it’s the right thing to do.

“The players have improved, and I think are poised to move forward. I am looking forward to seeing them move on and upwards.”

Milton start with a bang

On Saturday Milton were immediately on the scoreboard when from the kick-off the ball was passed through the backs for Ali Gunn to touch down in the corner.

Milton forwards then got into the action, their pack pushing Totts off their ball in the first scrum. Good line out possession and driving through tackle attempts created pressure on Totts line which resulted in a Gunn penalty conversion.

That man Gunn was quickly in the action again, running in to touch down after a fine backs move. He then duly adding the extras.

Milton then won possession from a Totts penalty and the forwards broke through before quality passing led to Chris Conacher crossing the whitewash with Gunn converting.

Milton constantly broke through tackles gaining territory, but were undone as they failed to pass and became isolated and penalties against followed.

In the final minutes of the half Milton scored again when Rhys Frampton broke through to dab down. Gunn added the extras for a 27-0 New Milton lead.

In the first ten minutes of the second half New Milton scored three further tries. Firstly, Charlie Jewiss sped past the defensive cover to increase Milton’s advantage. Then from the kick-off good inter passing ended with Julian Whittle crashing through to touch down.

Then Nathan Smith dodged past tacklers to score. All three tries were converted by the trusty boot of Gunn.

Totts had the last word when they finally took advantage of several penalties that created pressure on the Milton line and broke through to touch down, but it was little too late to stop New Milton winning 48-5.

New Milton: R. Frampton, L. Booker, D. Smith, J. Corbett, J. Halligan, S. Bew J. Whittle, A. George, M. Harburn, C. Conacher, J. Lines, N. Smith, C. Jewiss, Z. Smith, A. Gunn, J. Gunn, B. Treacey, A. Wignall.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More