Home   News   Article

ID change set for New Forest District Council elections on 4th May 2023



More news, no ads

LEARN MORE


RESIDENTS without a suitable form of ID will have to apply to New Forest District Council for a special voter card later this year.

NFDC is implementing changes ahead of the next elections on 4th May 2023, and has promised to make residents aware of them ahead of the ballot so there is no confusion.

New government legislation states voters must show some identification before they are allowed to vote.

The next elections will be held in May 2023
The next elections will be held in May 2023

NFDC said 98% of residents already have this but the other 2% will have to get voter ID cards – although the government has not yet issued guidance on their design or how they will be issued.

As a result of a boundary review NFDC is also being reduced from its current pool of 60 members to 48.

That means there will be 26 wards – down eight from the current 34 – and the size of those wards has been affected. Polling stations may also be in different places.

Rebecca Drummond, NFDC service manager, said: "There are district and parish elections on 4th May 2023 and any differences that our residents need to know in order to vote will be clearly communicated.

"In the meantime, we are working to successfully implement these changes which should support people in casting their vote in a secure and accessible way.”



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More