Home   News   Article

Marchwood thug Danny Birks jailed for a year over attack on Totton post office shopkeeper

More news, no ads


A MARCHWOOD thug has been jailed for a year for punching and biting a shopkeeper who threw him out of his store.

Danny Birks and a 17-year-old – who cannot be named for legal reasons – set upon Karan Nayyar at the Totton Post Office.

Prosecutor Rose Burns said Birks (29), Of Shell Close, went to the Rumbridge Street outlet while intoxicated around 2.30pm on 4th February with the youth and a third male, who has never been identified.

Danny Birks was sentenced at Southampton Crown Court
Danny Birks was sentenced at Southampton Crown Court

At the time Birks was wearing an electronic tag as he was on licence from prison.

Because he had previously been banned from the store by Mr Nayyar, Birks was asked to leave, Mrs Burns said.

In response, the trio attempted to put a wine bottle in a backpack.

Mr Nayyar managed to get the group out of the shop and closed the door – but the youth kicked it.

When the shopkeeper opened the door to avert any damage, he was grabbed by the youth and Birks punched him.

Mrs Burns said: "[The youth] held him away from the store, allowing Danny Birks to punch him to the head several times, causing Mr Nayyar injuries."

The victim fell to the floor and was kicked and bitten on the finger by Birks, she added, before a member of the public fended off the attackers.

Mr Nayyar suffered minor injuries, including bruises and swelling to his face and a bite mark on the finger.

Police were called and found the youth nearby. They arrested a "heavily drunk" Birks at home on his sofa.

Birks, who is about to become a father, was taken into custody, where he damaged a cell and ripped off his electronic tag.

He and the youth, who it was revealed had not met prior to the incident, appeared in court having both admitted charges of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and criminal damage.

The defendant had spoken to the teenager, given him some vodka, and enticed him to go into the store.

The court heard the youth was from the care system, easily led and had been classed as a victim of modern-day slavery.

Judge Nicholas Rowland sentenced Birks to a year's imprisonment.

It was an "absolutely disgraceful incident", the judge said. "[Mr Nayyar] had been serving the public during difficult conditions that have existed over the past 18 months. He was working and providing a service for people who needed it."

Judge Rowland spared the 17-year-old prison because of his immaturity.

He was given an 18-month supervision and rehabilitation order and a six-month curfew between 7pm and 7am; and ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More