Home   News   Article

Brindley Fairfax from Fordingbridge avoided an immediate jail term after violent attack on partner fuelled by drugs and alcohol

A Fordingbridge man who launched a prolonged violent attack on his girlfriend has avoided jail.

Brindley Fairfax (28), of Shaftesbury Street, was handed a 12-month sentence, suspended for two years, when he was sentenced at Southampton Crown Court.

The incident took place as the couple celebrated on New Year’s Eve, the court heard.

Southampton Crown Court
Southampton Crown Court

Prosecutor Nicola Sully said Fairfax had been with his then-girlfriend and a friend at around 12.30am when he became verbally abusive before disappearing.

The victim returned to her car, which she had parked outside Fairfax’s grandmother’s home, and went to sleep after failing to find him.

Around 5am she was woken by the sound of Fairfax talking to their mutual friend.

Without warning, the defendant twice picked up a metal bin and threw it at the car, Ms Sully explained.

The vehicle’s rear window was shattered and the wing mirror broken.

After the victim got out of her car, Fairfax grabbed her by her collar and pushed her to the ground.

He also took her glasses and threw them in a bush.

The court heard Fairfax repeatedly pushed the woman to the ground as she asked: “Why are you doing this to me?”.

He called her derogatory names and, as the pair approached the door of his grandmother’s house, he pushed her again, causing her to hit her head on concrete.

While lying on the ground, he kicked her in the head and face, which left her with a bruised eye, cut hands and a sore hip.

In interview, Fairfax denied all offences.

The court heard he had been convicted in September last year of battery and possession of a weapon with intent, for which he received a 12-month community order.

Defending, Laura Duff explained Fairfax, who suffers from anxiety and depression, was remorseful.

“At the time of the incident he was feeling lost,” she said. “His grandmother had been diagnosed with cancer and his aunt had recently gone missing, which caused considerable concern.

“To cope with that, Mr Fairfax had turned back to drink and drugs which he knows was a mistake. His substance abuse got the better of him that evening.”

He is a dedicated father to his young son, she said, and had been volunteering with Oxfam while seeking employment.

Fairfax previously pleaded guilty to ABH and criminal damage.

Sentencing him, judge Peter Henry said: “Having anxiety and depression does not mean you can go off and commit offences with impunity.

“You behaved in an irritational way, which I have no doubt was fuelled by drink and drugs.

“It’s quite clear you were jealous and possessive of her. How the injuries were not worse than they were was pure luck.”

In addition to the suspended sentence, the judge ordered Fairfax to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work and abstain from alcohol for four months.

He must also pay the victim £1,000 in compensation.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More