Home   News   Article

Lymington Town edge FA Cup clash against local rivals Brockenhurst

More news, no ads


Lymington Town goal scorer Ollie Dennett takes a shot at goal against Brockenhurst (Photo: Les Chase)
Lymington Town goal scorer Ollie Dennett takes a shot at goal against Brockenhurst (Photo: Les Chase)

FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round: Brockenhurst FC 0 Lymington FC 1

BROCKENHURST and Lymington Town met in the FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round with only a moment of madness from the home keeper separating the two sides at the Meadens Skoda Arena.

The match kicked off in typical derby fashion with both teams playing at a high tempo. The tackles flew in from the start, and Lymington were forced into an early substitution when striker Craig McCallister was forced off the pitch with a cut head after a collision.

Both sides attacked in an end-to-end game. The deadlock was broken in bizarre fashion after Brockenhurst keeper James Mayo collected the ball in his area. The Badgers man prepared to throw the ball to a teammate before changing his mind to a player on the other side of the pitch. However, the ball ended up bobbling towards his net allowing Lymington’s Ollie Dennett to tap in.

Almost immediately afterwards, Lymington had a chance to double their lead from a corner on the left. The ball bounced off three different heads before falling for a sitter on the edge of the six-yard area, which was blazed over the crossbar.

Brockenhurst were guilty of squandering possession in the final third. However, with half-time approaching, they began to grow into the game. Number 10 Freddie Bullard had a decent chance, but his shot was tame.

The second half continued along the same vein as the first, with both sides counter-attacking, but Brockenhurst looked the more likely to score next and Lymington keeper Casey was called on to keep his side in the lead.

Just after the hour mark, Brockenhurst midfielder Mitchell Speechley-Price was fouled close to the edge of the area, and the resulting free-kick from Toby Bailey went agonisingly wide of the right-hand post.

The match wound down with Brockenhurst having plenty of possession, but Lymington held on for the win and progressed to the next round of the FA Cup.

For the match, 300 spectators were allowed into the Grigg Lane stadium. Fans who were able to enter were required to provide their contact details as per the FA’s latest Covid-19 related regulations.

Brockenhurst FC said afterwards on Twitter: “Whilst the result didn’t go our way, we were more than happy how we dealt with the return of football under the Covid-19 restrictions.”

Brockenhurst FC: James Mayo, Dylan Manufor, Tom Sykes, Jude Nwachukwu, Pat Wilson, James Shorey, Harrison White, Toby Bailey, Mitchell Speechley-Price, Freddie Bullard, Ronan Moore. Subs: Reece King, Leon Carbayo-Borges, Brad Magookin, Tom Hill, Greg King, Matt Vokes, Sam White.

Lymington Town FC: Ross Casey, Ryan Fuller, Rian Drake, Nathan Hurst, Craig Stanley, Tim Stephenson, Tyrone Carkeet, Dom Falco, Craig McCallister, Ollie Dennett, Owen Fee. Subs: Zac Pickett, Jake King, Noah Pearce, Tom Mann, Ellis White, Nick Magee, Ollie Scott.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More