Home   News   Article

Lymington’s perfect run ended by Bashley rout

Bashley's Matt Crowe slides in on Lymington's Owen Fee (photo: Les Chase)
Bashley's Matt Crowe slides in on Lymington's Owen Fee (photo: Les Chase)

Sydenhams Wessex Premier

Lymington Town FC 0Bashley FC 3

BASHLEY came into the match looking to bounce back after an embarrassing FA Vase defeat, and they tore Lymington Town apart with an explosive second-half display to win 3-0 at The Sports Ground last night (Tuesday).

Fresh from their 2-0 loss to Cornish minnows Millbrook, Bashley took out their frustrations on the previously undefeated Lymington who had conceded only once all season. The goals came from Cameron Beard with a brace, and Harry McGrath.

The result looked unlikely with Lymington carrying a perfect record of 10 wins from as many league games while sporting the best defensive record of all 280 step-five teams in the country. Bashley’s task looked even more improbable when the mercurial Harry Bunce was injured during the warm-up. Lymington handed a debut to new signing Dave Jerrard.

Both sides registered their attacking intent from the kick-off in an end-to-end half. Bashley number nine Beard saw his goal-bound header easily gathered by keeper Ross Casey before Harry Gravett was forced into a point-blank save after a strong Lymington attack.

Lymington had the better of the first-half, but they found themselves up against a resolute Bashley, and chances were few. An accidental collision between Bashley manager’s son Brad Morris and Lymington’s Jamie Bulpitt led to the latter taking no further part.

The game was delayed when a four-legged pitch invader entered the field to deliver an early Christmas present. Referee Alex Rush-Fear called a halt to play while the owner received a red face.

Before the break, Bashley were reduced to 10 men when captain Morris was sin-binned for 10 minutes.

Despite Lymington starting well looking for the opening goal, Paul Morris’s men came out inspired in the second half. The breakthrough came after a driving run from Lewis Ross resulted in a lay-off to Harry McGrath. The winger finished with aplomb, curling a low shot into the bottom-left corner.

The goal inspired McGrath, and just two minutes later he brushed off the defenders and threaded the ball to Beard, the striker giving Casey no chance with a fierce net-bulging shot.

Number 11 McGrath was lurking again 10 minutes later to pressure the besieged Lymington shot-stopper. The keeper’s hurried clearance was intercepted by the lurking Beard who gratefully registered his second goal to seal the 3-0 victory.

After the match, Bashley manager Paul Morris said: “It was a great win, and we defended very well. The only difference for me with the last two games is that we took our chances. We need to carry that performance into our next game.”

Both sides are in league action on Saturday – Bashley cross the Solent to take on Cowes Sports while Lymington host Portland United.

Bashley: H. Gravett, B. Strickland, O. Bradley, D. Thompson, L. Aimson, L. Ross, H. Bunce, B. Morris, C. Beard, C. Whiteley, H. McGrath. Subs: S. Thompson, M. Crowe, L. Farrugia, J. Webber.s

Lymington Town: R. Casey, R. Fuller, L. Churchill, N. Hurst, T. Stephenson, C. Stanley, O. Fee, J. Bulpitt, S. House, D. Jerrard, D. Falco. Subs: T. Man, T. Carkeet, R. Drake, C. Churchill, S. Flynn.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More