Home   News   Article

Lymington miss self-isolating leading scorers in Vase defeat

Josh Robins' challenge on Tyrone Carkeet (picture: @justinparrypho1)
Josh Robins' challenge on Tyrone Carkeet (picture: @justinparrypho1)

FA Vase First Round

Lymington Town FC 1Tavistock AFC 2

LYMINGTON went into the match without both of their leading scorers as they succumbed to a 2-1 defeat to Tavistock AFC at The Sports Ground on Saturday.

Tavistock, currently third in the Western League Premier Division, broke the deadlock late in the second-half before doubling their advantage. Jason Brooks pulled one back, but the visitors held on to progress to the next round.

Owen Fee and Sam House missed the fixture after both were forced to self-isolate when a colleague contracted coronavirus. This presented the perfect opportunity for new signing James Bulpitt to make his debut.

With less than five minutes played, Tavistock forced Lymington keeper Ross Casey into action before Conrad Churchill’s goalbound effort was kept out by Tom Watson’s magnificent save.

On an excellent playing surface – remarkable given the heavy morning rain – both sides looked to keep the ball on the floor in an end-to-end match.

Tavistock were fortunate to see out the match with 11 players after Josh Robins’ horrendous studs-up challenge on Tyrone Carkeet. Somehow, referee Klasi Petrov deemed the challenge worthy only of a yellow card. He increased the confusion by also brandishing a yellow to the Lymington man who was writhing in agony.

After play resumed, the visitors went up the other end and won a free-kick in a dangerous area. Tavistock’s Jack Crago did well to get his effort over the wall before it dipped into the bottom left corner.

Just two minutes later, Liam Prynn doubled their advantage.

Lymington brought on Brooks, and the decision paid immediate dividends when his shot from outside the box beat the keeper to present a glimmer of hope.

With the clock ticking down, Nathan Hurst and Tim Stephenson both had efforts to equalise but their efforts sailed over the bar.

Lymington: R. Casey, R. Fuller, L. Churchill, N. Hurst, T. Stephenson, C. Stanley, R. Drake, J. Bulpitt, C. McAllister, C. Churchill, D. Falco. Subs: T. Carkeet, T. Man, J. Brooks.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More