Home   News   Article

Fire at home under construction closes access to Mudeford Quay



More news, no ads

LEARN MORE


ACCESS to Mudeford Quay was closed off as firefighters battled a blaze which broke out at a nearby home undergoing construction works.

Crews from Dorset and Hampshire joined forces as they responded to reports flames were engulfing the roof space of the vacant property in Mudeford, Christchurch, shortly after 1.30pm last Friday. No one was reported to have been hurt.

An aerial ladder platform was used to reach the top of the building, and firefighters equipped with breathing apparatus spent about four-and-a-half hours containing the emergency.

Flames had engulfed the roof space of the vacant property
Flames had engulfed the roof space of the vacant property

Police closed off the road until around 4.40pm while the operation was carried out by the crews from Christchurch, Springbourne, Westbourne, Lymington, Ringwood and New Milton.

Local residents were urged to keep their windows and doors closed due to smoke from the incident, which was believed to have started accidentally.

A Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service (DWFRS) post on Twitter at the time said: “We’re currently in attendance at an incident in Mudeford – Mudeford Road has been closed for the foreseeable so please avoid the area.

No one was reported to have been hurt
No one was reported to have been hurt

“There is also a significant amount of smoke in the area so locals and residents should keep their windows and doors closed.”

One crew remained at the scene damping down hotspots until around 8.30pm, and Christchurch firefighters returned to re-inspect the building later that evening and the following morning.

A DWFRS spokesperson told the A&T today (Monday): “We believe the fire to have started accidentally, most likely due to the construction works.”



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More