Home   News   Article

Heartbroken pet owner's antifreeze warning after her cats die a week apart




Pixel and Marble died a week apart
Pixel and Marble died a week apart

A HEARTBROKEN pet owner is urging people to take care using antifreeze after two of her cats died a week apart after ingesting it.

Corinne Ash-Hill, from Totton, wanted to raise awareness of the product which is thought to attract cats because of its smell and taste.

The toxic component in the product, ethylene glycol, is also found in some screenwashes and de-icers.

Corrine told the A&T: “Having lost two of my young, beautiful, healthy, friendly, streetwise cats to poisoning, I want to raise awareness of the danger this product presents and support a cause which requests manufacturers add something which deters animals from ingesting it, as is done in some other countries.”

Corrine rushed three-year-old Marble to an out-of-hours vet on 15th January but she had to be put to sleep.

A week later on 22nd January her five-year-old cat Pixel also died after becoming unwell. Blood tests at the vet revealed acute renal failure. Corrine did not believe the incidents were due to any malicious action.

She said: “The two vet practices I attended with my cats both independently suggested it was likely to be poisoning by antifreeze.

“A friend suggested that perhaps someone had sprayed it on the rubbish bins to deter foxes, which is a coincidence as the bin bags go out on a Thursday and both cats fell ill on a Friday.”

A spokesperson for the RSPCA told the A&T: “We’re sorry to hear about this upsetting incident which has resulted in the death of two much-loved cats. Our thoughts are with their owner at this sad time.

“We would ask everyone in the area to take extra care when using antifreeze and to be aware of the risk to pets and wildlife.

“We’d also encourage people to check where they keep their pesticides and chemicals and make sure they are secure and out of the way. Cleaning up any spillages may save an animal’s life.”

In 2014 the A&T reported how three cats died and one was left seriously ill after consuming antifreeze in the Eling area of Totton.

The maximum penalty for anyone found guilty of poisoning animals is up to six months in prison and a £20,000 fine.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More