'Hazardous material' alert sparked by office carpet cleaning operation
EMERGENCY services were scrambled to a “hazardous materials” alert as 11 people required treatment after suffering breathing difficulties from a carpet cleaning operation.
Fire, police and ambulance services responded to a call just before 9.30am today (Monday) at a Sovereign Housing Association (SHA) office building in Grange Road in Somerford, Christchurch.
Members of Dorset and Wiltshire Fire Service were among the first on the scene where a number of people were feeling ill.
Two crews from Christchurch fire station were dispatched to investigate the problem and ended up ventilating a property.
The 11 casualties were left in the care of the ambulance service.
A spokeswoman for South Western Ambulance Service said a number of people were “sick and dizzy” and it sent a “number of resources to the scene”.
He added: “Four ambulances and a senior paramedic treated 11 patients with minor injuries. Nobody was taken to hospital.”
Dorset Police also attended, a spokesman for the force confirmed.
SHA head of customer contact Paula Dawson said: “Unfortunately some of our contact team were affected by fumes following a carpet clean over the weekend.
“The symptoms were minor – for example, some dizziness and sore eyes.
“But everyone has been seen by paramedics as a precaution and they’ve been released home for the day.
“It only affected a small part of the building, which we’ve closed for the rest of the day.
"But we expect the office to be open and services return to normal tomorrow morning.”