Burning candle sparks early hours fire which destroys bedroom at home in Woodland Gardens, Blackfield
A BURNING candle sparked a blaze that destroyed a bedroom at a Blackfield home in the early hours of Monday morning.
The alarm was raised shortly after 3am, and all occupants got outside before firefighters arrived at the address in Woodland Gardens to find the ground-floor room well alight.
With further resources needed to tackle the emergency, the Hardley crew called for back-up which came from Totton, Beaulieu and Redbridge.
Flames had gutted the bedroom by the time they were extinguished by the crews. Ventilation fans were used to clear smoke from the building.
A spokesperson for Hampshire & Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service said the blaze had spread from a burning candle.
Firefighters remained at the scene until around 4.45am as they delivered community safety leaflets to neighbouring houses.