Home   News   Article

Brockenhurst prevail in cup final shootout drama

More news, no ads


Brockenhurst FC celebrating their victory in the Bournemouth Senior Cup final. Photo: Les Chase
Brockenhurst FC celebrating their victory in the Bournemouth Senior Cup final. Photo: Les Chase

Bournemouth Senior Cup final: Brockenhurst FC 2-2 Hamworthy United (Brockenhurst FC win 5-4 on penalties)

GOALKEEPER Jon Webb was the man of the moment after he rifled the winning sudden-death penalty home in Brockenhurst’s nail-biting Bournemouth Senior Cup final victory over Hamworthy United at Hurn Bridge.

Will Tickle and Mitchell Speechley-Price got on the scoresheet in regular time for the Badgers, but they were pegged back twice after Hamworthy’s Declan Randall and Louie Coulson forced the final into penalties.

Brockenhurst struck the first blow on eight minutes when captain Tickle was fouled 30 yards from goal. His ensuing free-kick was fumbled over the line by Hamworthy keeper Ollie King to make it 1-0 to the Badgers.

However, the lead lasted only two minutes when Randall fired home from inside the box following an enticing Eddie Hodge cross.

The entertaining first half took another twist on 30 minutes. Birthday boy striker Speechley-Price received the ball on the edge of the box from Tickle and coolly slotted home to re-install Brockenhurst’s one-goal lead before the break.

Under pressure

Hamworthy were the better side in the second half and had several chances to draw level. Webb was called into action to keep the Hammers at bay including two reflex saves from Connor Cockin. The Badgers keeper maintained their advantage once again as he palmed Jamie Bradley’s powerful strike over the bar.

Despite a sin-bin midway through the half to Hamworthy’s Ollie Davis, Brock were under pressure as the Hammers refused to lie down. In a rare Badgers attack, Tickle danced into the box and forced King into a low sprawling save across goal.

Hamworthy got their deserved equaliser with seven minutes to go. A teasing Bradley cross floated across the goal, and it was met by the head of substitute Louie Coulson who gave Webb no chance from close range.

Tense shootout

After a 2-2 stalemate in normal time, the game went straight to penalties. Tickle and James Shorey scored the first two for the Badgers but disaster struck when defensive stalwart Jude Nwachukwu blazed his attempt high over the bar.

With the game hanging in the balance, Speechley-Price converted and goalkeeper King stepped up for Hamworthy. His penalty was ruled out by the official on the line as his effort cannoned off the bar, onto the line and back out.

Brock substitute Toby Bailey tucked away his, and after Webb saved Davis’ attempt, man-of-the-match Webb stepped up himself and fired low past King to spark jubilant celebrations from the Brock players and fans.

Brockenhurst manager Pat McManus told the A&T after the game: “I thought based on tonight’s performance that Jon (Webb) would save at least one, and I was obviously pleased with how the shootout turned out.

“I figured the game would be close. Based on our two league games this season we are two evenly-matched sides, and it couldn’t have got any closer.

“Without sounding too cliché, you could probably say it was a game of two halves. I thought we were very much in the ascendancy in the first half and the second half belonged to them.”

Brockenhurst will travel to Shaftesbury tomorrow as they look to carry over their winning cup form into the league.

Brockenhurst: Webb, Manufor, Sheibatzadeh, Nwachukwu, Wilson, Newton, Tickle (c), Magookin, Speechley-Price, Bullard, Shorey. Subs: Mayo, Kemplen, Carbayo-Borges, Bailey, King.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More