Home   News   Article

Brockenhurst dumped out of cup after last-minute winner

More news, no ads


Mitchell Speechley-Price (right) scored twice for Brockenhurst FC in their 3-2 loss to Baffins Milton Rovers
Mitchell Speechley-Price (right) scored twice for Brockenhurst FC in their 3-2 loss to Baffins Milton Rovers

Sydenhams League Cup Third Round: Brockenhurst FC 2-3 Baffins Milton Rovers

BROCKENHURST FC were knocked out of the League Cup with the last kick of the game in a pulsating tie against last year's winners Baffins Milton Rovers.

Badgers striker Mitchell Speechley-Price put the hosts ahead twice in the first half, but goals from Tom Froggatt, Dale Mason and Tommy Tierney swept Baffins into the next round.

The hosts started well and produced the first good chance of the game when Speechley-Price headed against the post from a Will Tickle free-kick.

It was the same combination that opened the scoring when Tickle’s thunderous long-range strike bounced off the bar and into the path of Speechley-Price who duly nodded home.

Lead change

Froggatt pulled Baffins level as he steered home at the back post from a corner. However, two minutes later Brock gained control again – Speechley-Price claimed his brace when he converted from Leon Carbayo-Borges’ cross.

Baffins came close on several occasions just before half-time with their best chance falling to Ben Stranger who hit a terrific volley from the edge of the box that was well held by keeper Jon Webb.

The hosts started brightly in the second half and looked to double their lead. Speechley-Price came close to grabbing his hat-trick while centre-back Greg King put a header just over the bar from a corner.

However, Brockenhurst paid for their missed chances as Mason was able to beat Webb to give the visitors an equaliser.

The tide had turned, and Baffins started to pressurise Brockenhurst. Webb was called into action as the visitors looked to claim a late winning goal, and in added time they broke through. Tierney picked the ball up 25 yards out from a cleared corner, and his deflected effort eluded the Brockenhurst back-line and nestled in the net.

'Desperately disappointed'

Brockenhurst manager Pat McManus told the A&T: “I was desperately disappointed to lose in the manner in which we did. To be seconds away from a penalty shootout with at least two or three opportunities to see the game out raises huge question marks around our game management capabilities.

“This has been evident over a number of games at really important junctures, not just this fixture. It’s a major issue for us at the moment that requires immediate attention.”

Baffins Milton Rovers will move on to play AFC Stoneham in the next round while Brockenhurst will look to bounce back with an away league game against Amesbury Town.

Brockenhurst: Webb, Manufor, Sheibatzedah, Nwachukwu, King, Magookin, Tickle (c), Bailey, Speechley-Price, Shorey, Carbayo-Borges. Subs: Bullard, Hirdle, Prescott, Barratt, Broad.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More