Home   News   Article

Bashley climb into top half with derby victory over Brockenhurst

More news, no ads


Conor Whiteley (right) scored as Bashley bounced back from defeat to Christchurch with a 2-1 win over Brockenhurst
Conor Whiteley (right) scored as Bashley bounced back from defeat to Christchurch with a 2-1 win over Brockenhurst

Sydenhams Premier: Brockenhurst FC 1-2 Bashley FC

GOALS from forwards Conor Whiteley and Cameron Beard sealed a derby-day win for Bashley FC over Brockenhurst in the Sydenhams Premier division at the Meadens Arena.

Jude Nwachukwu scored a late penalty for the Badgers, but it was too little too late for the hosts as Bashley climb to ninth in the table.

Neither team mustered clear-cut chances in the opening exchanges. Harry Bunce came closest with a well-hit long-range strike which was parried away by Brock keeper Jon Webb.

Bashley’s Harry Morgan then had a dangerous free-kick, but his curled effort hit the side netting. For the Badgers, Dylan Manufor had looping header that had Dan Kempson clambering across goal.

Bashley continued to pressure Brock, and late in the half, a neat move between Beard and Morgan split open the defence, and Beard’s toe-poked effort trickled onto the post and wide.

The visitors broke away from Brockenhurst early in the first half. Whiteley found the back of the net on 50 minutes and, four minutes later, Beard made up for his earlier miss with a goal of his own.

Brockenhurst brought on three attacking substitutes to salvage the game, but Bashley’s defence remained resolute up until the last minute when they conceded a penalty. Nwachukwu fired past Kempson, but it was not enough for Brock who slipped to a 2-1 defeat.

Wednesday results

Blackfield & Langley were knocked out of the Southern League Challenge Cup by Sholing on penalties. After finishing 1-1 in regular time, the Watersiders were pipped 4-2 after spot-kicks.

Christchurch moved into second in the league with a 2-0 win over Bournemouth Poppies. Max Wilcock and Kyle Graham got on the scoresheet in the first half for the hosts.

Lymington came back from the Isle of Wight with three points after a comprehensive 4-0 victory over East Cowes Victoria. Steve Flynn and Sam House scored in the first half, and the win was wrapped up by Dom Falco and substitute Tim Stephenson in the second period.

New Milton Town drew 1-1 with Folland Sports at the BBX Stadium. Dom Taylor claimed his third goal in two games for the Linnets.

Ryan Hamm claimed a last-minute winner as Ringwood Town squeezed past Bemerton Heath Harlequins. Nasim Meddah was also on target for Town as they overturned a one-goal deficit at half-time to claim victory.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More