Home   News   Article

Council brings in bailiffs to move on travellers from Ewart recreation ground in Hythe



More news, no ads

LEARN MORE


BAILIFFS are being drafted in to move on a group of travellers occupying a recreation ground in Hythe after they failed to leave when served with an eviction notice.

Hythe and Dibden Parish Council said in a statement it was "doing all it can" to resolve the issue at Ewart recreation ground. The council is also delivering leaflets to make nearby residents aware of the situation.

The convoy of caravans and vehicles moved to the site in Jones Lane on Friday afternoon. It is believed they are the same group which was moved on from land off Admiralty Way in Marchwood.

The travellers had been asked to leave by midday on Monday
The travellers had been asked to leave by midday on Monday

The statement said: "We took advice immediately on the correct procedure to follow and began the eviction process. A Section 77 Notice, giving notice to leave, was issued as soon as possible on Friday afternoon, giving noon on 14th June as the deadline for vacating the site.

"We have remained in contact with the gypsy liaison officer at Hampshire County Council and the police throughout on this matter."

"We understand that the travellers have not left the site as stipulated in the legal notice. We are now liaising with the relevant authorities and our insurance company regarding the instruction of bailiffs to enter the site.

"Once the group do depart, our parish maintenance team will undertake site clearance and risk assess how the recreation ground has been left. Furthermore, the entrance used to gain access to the site by the travellers will be made secure via concrete and locked metal bars immediately upon vacation."

Chairman of the council, Cllr Philip Dowd added: "We appreciate the distress that this situation is causing to local residents and can assure them we are following the necessary legal process to have the travellers removed as soon as we are permitted. We share residents’ concerns about rubbish around the site and will ensure that there is a clean-up of anything left behind when the group leaves.

"We hope this won’t be necessary and the group respects and enjoys the beautiful environment of our village. We will continue to monitor the behaviour of the group – any anti-social behaviour should be reported directly to the police.”

The council's ACSOs – accredited community safety officers – will continue to patrol the area as part of their rounds. Residents can contact them on 023 8084 0866.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More