Beach-goers’ CPR efforts to save man (82) who died after falling ill at Milford

milford beach death
Members of the public carried out CPR before paramedics arrived

AN 82-year-old man died after falling ill at Milford beach on Monday afternoon despite the best efforts of members of the public who battled to save him.


Paramedics and police rushed to the scene at about 5.30pm, near Hordle Cliff off the B3058 Cliff Road.

The A&T understands three off-duty lifeguards and a former lifeguard were among members of the public who tried to resuscitate the pensioner by carrying out CPR before the ambulance crews arrived and took over.

A trained nurse and medic had also arrived at the scene after the casualty was pulled from the water by two other men.

However, despite their efforts the local man was pronounced dead at the scene.

His next of kin were informed by police, who are not treating the death as suspicious and have passed the matter over to the coroner.

Eyewitnesses on the beach told the A&T a group of youngsters were among the first to raise the alarm.

One said: “The young men went into the sea to rescue the gentleman when they became aware there was a problem.”

“There was quite a commotion as people on the beach began to realise it was a very serious situation.”

“They managed to get the elderly man onto the beach and they were performing CPR on him for a long time but sadly their courageous efforts were not enough to save him.”

A spokesperson for the Hampshire force said: “We can confirm that we were called to an incident at 5.30pm on Monday 20th July following reports of an 82-year-old man suffering a medical episode near to Hordle Cliff, Milford-on-Sea.

“Ambulance services were on-scene as we arrived, who took over from members of the public who were already administering CPR and despite their best efforts, were unable to revive the gentleman. He sadly died at the scene.

“His next of kin has been informed and are being supported by specialist officers at this time. His death is not being treated as suspicious and a file is being prepared for the coroner.”