Barton-on-Sea – 'the English Bay of Naples'
THE development of Barton, which has taken place over the last 130 years, has been quite dramatic.
For centuries, Barton was a rural backwater with a tiny population working largely in agriculture. The 1841 census and the Tithe allocations of that year indicate that there were only 28 cottages and houses in all of Barton, giving the area a population of 52 males and 47 females, writes Nick Saunders.
This figure included the coastguard men and their families based in the cottages in Barton Lane, who were posted there to prevent smuggling which had been rife in the area a few years earlier.