Late intercept try decides Fordingbridge and Havant clash

Man-of-the-match Jasper Willis got on the scoresheet for Fordingbridge RFC during their close affair with Havant II

Hampshire Premier: Fordingbridge RFC 25-37 Havant II


FORDINGBRIDGE RFC were undone by an intercept try in the last 10 minutes, losing to Havant II by 37-25.

In a superb game of rugby played between two sides moving the ball with flair and pace, the result was in question up to the final stages.

In glorious sunshine and in front of a big crowd, Havant scored first and took a seven-point lead after just four minutes. Shortly after, Harry Lewis reduced that lead with an unconverted try in the corner for Bridge.

A penalty from Mat Norton midway through the half gave the home side a slender lead.

Two tries from Havant’s Morris, both converted by Morgan gave the visitors the first substantial lead of the game, and with another penalty from Morgan, Havant were now 16 points ahead as the interval loomed.

However, Mark Hammond forced his way through for a try in the 38th minute and with Norton converting, the half finished at 24-15.

Four minutes into the second half, man-of-the-match Jasper Wallis scored a converted try to bring Bridge back into touching distance. A penalty for Norton edged the hosts into the lead, but they were pegged back by a Wilkes penalty to restore Havant’s advantage.

With 10 minutes to go and with Fordingbridge pressurising the Havant line, a loose pass resulted in an interception by Wise who ran the length of the pitch unopposed to score under the posts.

This proved to be the final straw for Bridge, and despite a valiant effort in the last five minutes, they could not get back on terms, compounded by a late penalty for the Dolphins who finally ran out winners by 37-25.

After an entertaining game, Fordingbridge’s captain Mark Hammond congratulated Aaron Lee and Harry Lewis on their first-team debuts.

Both Fordingbridge teams travel to Sandown and Shanklin on the Island next week.